The first thought of Windows 10 on your mind will certainly be its speed. Though you are enjoying the good performance of the latest operating system but still, you prefer to make it better. There are certain tweaks and customizations in Windows 10 when applied will Make Windows 10 PC Fast.
This tutorial consists of 3 parts. The first part is dedicated to the newbie user or beginner. The second one is for the average user who runs PC authoritatively but does not use so much customization and the third part is for advanced users and techie guys who manipulate Window PC and exercise with registry editor and services with mastery. But all the users who need to fasten his Windows 10 PC may exercise all the tips in these 3 sections.
Things to do to Make Windows 10 PC Fast
For Newbie Users
This section of the article to Make Windows 10 PC Fast is useful for the newbie users who are not familiar with all the settings, editors, and services in the inner core of Windows 10.
1. Remove Unnecessary Gadgets from Desktop
To make the desktop look more lavishing, users put different types of gadgets on their desktop. Users also call it as mini-programs because they provide you information in one glance and also assist easy access to the daily used tools. But when you put many gadgets on your desktop, it definitely slows your computer. So, remove the unnecessary gadgets from your desktop to Make Windows 10 PC Fast.
2. Restart Regularly
If you use your computer frequently, it will be helpful to restart it once in a week. This small tip really works very well iMake Windows 10 PC Fast. The restarting process is one of the best ways to wipe out the computer’s memory and also confirms the shutdown of any troublesome processes and services. Restarting brings an end to all the software active on your computer – not only the services active on your taskbar but also many services that have started by multiple programs and have never terminated. So Restart your Windows 10 PC whenever you are in problem.
3. Empty Recycle Bin
The files that you delete from your computer are usually moved to the Recycle Bin. It is because you can recover it anytime. But if you prefer to remove the files permanently to regain space on hard disk, you need to empty the Recycle Bin. To empty the Recycle Bin at a time follow the below step:
- Right click on Recycle Bin on the desktop and choose Empty Recycle Bin.
- Click Yes button to confirm the process.
4. Delete Unnecessary Files
You never put attention to those files that are no longer useful for you. And instead of removing them, you keep on piling them one after the other. The unnecessary files on your computer occupy an extra space which means less amount of space in the drive. So, after your work is over, remove those unnecessary files from your computer if you want to Make Windows 10 PC Fast.
5. Run CCleaner
A frequent cleanup is necessary for your computer. This useful tool helps you in eliminating the collected internet or file waste. There are two reasons why CCleaner is always recommended. Firstly, it scans and analyzes for the useless files and deletes them, thus creating some space on your disk. Secondly, it deletes the browsing history and also the list of most recently opened apps or programs. Download and install it now from the following website.
6. Clear Temp and Recent Files Regularly
A copy of whatever you do in your computer is stored in a temp and recent files. Again, keeping information in these files mean extra space occupied on your drive. The computer becomes slow if you don’t clear off these files So to Make Windows 10 PC Fast you need to do the exercise of clearing the temp and recent files on regular basis.
- Bring Run command on your screen by using Windows and R
- Type temp and %temp% successively on the text field and click Ok.
- The temp folder will open. Select all the files using shortcut Ctrl + A. Hit Del button and clear off the files.
- Now, to open the Recent folder, type recent on the Run command and click Ok.
- The Recent folder will display you all the files you have accessed recently. Delete all the files.
7. Uninstall Unnecessary Apps
In the above points, you have been suggested to uninstall unwanted programs. But it is also very much necessary to remove the apps you don’t require. The extra apps installed on your computer occupies a large amount of disk space which you can put into some other use which prevents you to Make Windows 10 PC Fast. You can find the apps in the Start Menu. Read how it is done:
- Go to the Start Menu and click All Apps.
- Scan for the apps you don’t use at all. Right click on each app at a time and choose Uninstall.
- The apps will be uninstalled from your system.
8. Install Windows Update
To Make Windows 10 PC Fast, you should always install the Windows Update. Windows Update keeps on providing you the improvised features that help in improving the speed of your computer. Recently an article was covered on Windows Update. Follow the link to see more about Windows Update.
For Average Users
9. Uninstall Unnecessary Software
Your computer must have installed the software you would not require. These extra software put extra load on your computer resulting in producing obstruction to Make Windows 10 PC Fast. So, uninstall unwanted software to Make Windows 10 PC Fast. Follow the below steps to do so. If you need help then read: How to uninstall programs or software on Windows 10
10. Remove Adware if present in your computer
Sometimes when you download any third-party tool or software from the internet, without your knowledge adware gets installed on your system. These adware are not only hindrance to Make Windows 10 PC Fast but are also a threat to infect it. If you are not able to remove them manually (using the uninstallation process given above) download Adware Removal Tool from here. This tool genuinely works.
11. Disable animations and other graphics effects
As per the nature of Windows 10, it comes with the animations and other graphics effects enabled which makes the system run slow. But in the pursuit of dazzle PC speed becomes sluggish. So, it is highly recommended to disable such effects to Make Windows 10 PC Fast.
- Allow Control Panel to open on the screen in small icons view. Click System.
- On the left pane, click Advanced system settings link.
- The above step will result in the occurrence of System Properties window. By default, you will be taken to the Advanced tab. Hit Settings button under the Performance segment.
- Performance Options window will pop up. Now, under Visual Effects tab you can see most of the unwanted effects are selected here which can Make Windows 10 PC Fast. So, click Custom radio button and uncheck all the effects option.
Now, there are some options when enabled makes your computer look cool but at the same the time it creates a hamper to Make Windows 10 PC Fast. Few options like Animate controls and elements inside windows, Fade or slide menus into view and such like that act as a speed breaker to the smooth functioning of the system and thus are highly advised to disable them. But some options like Smooth edges of screen fonts are preferable because eliminating them will make your computer look little dull. So Check the radio button against the following to Make Windows 10 PC Fast.
a) Smooth edges of screen fonts.
b) Show thumbnail instead of icons.
- Click Apply and Ok buttons to put changes into effect.
12. Disable Unnecessary Features Through Folder Options
Now, in this section will help you improve the functionality of the File Explorer. The File Explorer also has many features enabled and you can easily disable them in order to increase its service and Make Windows 10 PC Fast.
- Bring This PC on your screen and click View button of the menu bar.
- On the extreme right side of the View ribbon, you can see Options. Click on Options.
- A Folder Options will emerge on your display screen. Take your attention to the View tab.
- Under the Advanced settings section, you can see many options are checked. It means all those options are enabled. You need to clear off those options.
Now, if you disable all the options, you will be unable to do or see few things. Like if you choose to disable Don’t show hidden files, folders, or drives, you won’t be able to see the hidden stuff on your computer anymore.
- So, disable the options you don’t need at all. And keep only a few necessary ones like Display file icon on thumbnails. The recommended options to disable are
a) Display file size information in folder tips
b) Hide empty drives in the Computer folder
c) Hide extensions for known file types
d) Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color
e) Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items.
- Click Apply button followed by Ok button.
Read in Detail:
13. Disable the Unwanted Programs from Startup
Here, we will help you speed up the Windows 10 startup. When you install any third party software, they automatically take their entries in the Windows Startup. This means the moment Windows starts, these programs start running automatically. So, when you disable these programs, you make Windows 10 startup more conveniently. You can see the startup programs in the Startup tab of the Task Manager. Also, you can see the Status of each program along with their impact on startup in the Startup impact column. Under the Startup impact column, you can see None, Low, Medium and High as values. This tells you the degree of impact on CPU and disk activity which is measured during the startup and updated with each restart. So, we suggest you disable the unwanted programs from Windows Startup and enhance Windows Startup and finally Make Windows 10 PC Fast.
- Right click on the vacant space of the Taskbar and choose Task Manager.
- The Task Manager window will appear on your screen. Take yourself to the Startup tab.
- Now, you can see many unwanted programs are enabled for the Startup. So, select each program at a time and click Disable button.
- Or right-click on each and choose Disable option.
You can keep enabled the program like Windows Defender as it has a medium impact on startup and also it is necessary to track the malicious threats of your computer.
- Close Task Manager window.
Read in detail: Disable Unwanted Startup Programs on Windows 10 for Faster Boot
14. Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10
Fast startup is a medium on your Windows 10 computer which permits you to boot it rapidly itself. Among the inbuilt settings, the OS creates environment to in a lesser period of time by tweaking in some services, background processes:
Read detail: How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10
15. Remove Sound Notifications of System Events
For various events, you must have heard different sound notification from your computer. Windows by default makes the sounds play for different system events like the connection of device, disconnection of device, error message, the status of battery, UAC prompt, the success of command, and a lot more such events. These sound notifications become the hurdle to Make Windows 10 PC Fast. Disable few or all sound notifications.
- Bring Control Panel and switch it into the small icons view. Click Sound.
- Get your attention of the Sounds tab. Under the Programs Events section, you can see many sound events listed. Click on the event which you prefer to disable and then from the Sounds section choose None using its drop-down menu.
The above step is when you prefer to disable sound notification for a particular event. Now, to disable sound notifications for all the events do the below step.
- Choose No Sounds from the drop-down menu of the Sound Scheme section and turn off sound notifications for all events.
- Don’t forget to save the changes you have done. Click Apply and Ok buttons.
Read in Detail: Sound Scheme in Windows 10 – How to Change, Create, Save, Delete
16. Disk Cleanup
To Make Windows 10 PC Fast, you can use Disk Cleanup. It reduces the number of unwanted files on your selected drives. Also, Disk Cleanup can clear off the temporary files, throws of the number of things that you might not require removing system files and also empties Recycle Bin and Make Windows 10 PC Fast. Read the below points for Disk Cleanup.
You can read a thorough guide to Windows 10 – How to Open and Use Disk Cleanup
17. Power Options
Another change in the interesting feature will help to Make Windows 10 PC Fast. The Power Options of Control Panel provides you an option to choose High-performance option. With the option enabled you can make your computer blaze faster but of course, compared to other plans it consumes more energy. See how it is done:
- Launch the small icons view of Control Panel and click Power Options.
- The Power Options window displays you three plans. Select High-performance radio button
Read in Detail: How to Set up Power Plans in Windows 10 – Simple Steps
18. Turn Off App Notifications
This is an easy but important tip. You can choose to turn off app notifications which will help you to Make Windows 10 PC Fast. Whenever a small activity takes place you see the notification area pops up with a message. So, notifying few things are alright but if you have multiple things going at once, it will be definitely annoying. You can completely ask Settings app to turn off notifications for all apps at one.
- Get into the System category of the Settings app.
- Click Notifications & Actions from the left column.
- Use the slider and turn OFF the Show app notifications.
Read in Detail: How to Disable / Enable App Notifications on Windows 10
19. Disable Unused Hardware
All the installed drivers are loaded on Windows Startup. And this consumes a quality of time in loading computer. So when you disable the unused drivers, it will take less time for the computer to boot. You need to disable the unused drivers from the Device Manager to Make Windows 10 PC Fast. Let us see how it is done.
- Right click on the Start Menu and choose Device Manager.
- The Device Manager window will appear now. Now, look for the drivers you don’t use.
- For example, Fax driver is of no use to me. So, right click on the Fax and choose Disable.
- In the same way, right click on the drivers you don’t need and click Disable.
- Click Yes in the following window that says disabling the device will stop it from working.
For Advance Users
20. Optimize Paging File
If you correctly configure the Paging File, you can definitely Make Windows 10 PC Fast by reducing the boot-up time. The paging file has a vital position in the Windows. If your computer doesn’t have a good amount of RAM, it is significant to optimize the paging file. Well, to learn more about the paging file, you can click on the following link and read a full article on paging file.
21. Set Unwanted Services to Manual
When you set unwanted services to manual, you stop them from being started automatically with the Windows. With this, you Make Windows 10 PC Fast. Read the below steps.
- Open Run command and type services.msc and click Ok.
- Alternatively, you can open Services from the Administrative Tools of Control Panel.
- Look for the services you don’t need to start automatically and prefer to set it as Manual.
- So right click on the service and choose Properties.
- Under the General tab, you can see Startup type section. Use the drop-down menu and choose Manual option.
- Click Apply and Ok to save the changes.
22. Hide Extra Items in the File Explorer’s Navigation Pane
When you open File Explorer, you can see many items listed in its navigation pane like Library, Network, Control Panel, Recycle Bin and many such things. So, instead of making the navigation pane so crowded with unwanted items which assist you Make Windows 10 PC Fast, you can easily choose to see the important stuff.
- Open File Explorer and click View tab of the menu bar.
- The extreme left of the View ribbon displays you many Navigation Pane option. Click on Navigation Pane.
- Uncheck Show all folders option.
- Now, the Control Panel, Recycle Bin, Libraries folder will be removed from the navigation pane.
23. Registry Tweak
We will help you with an important registry tweak to Make Windows 10 PC Fast. Take a look to it and try out to Make Windows 10 PC Fast.
24. Disable low disk checking to speed up your computer
Windows warns you when you run short of space especially when all your disks are full. The disk space Windows check actually does not rely on disk space. Even if there is enough disk space in your disk, Windows still goes with the checking process. So when you disable the low disk checking process, you Make Windows 10 PC Fast. See how it is done.
- Launch Registry Editor and follow the mentioned path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Policies
- Under Policies look for Explorer If you cannot see Explorer key, go to the right pane, right-click on a vacant space and choose Key. Name it as Explorer.
- Now, select Explorer and go to the right pane. Again right click and choose DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks.
- Then execute a right-click on the newly created DWORD and chose Modify.
- In the Edit DWORD dialog box, set the Value data as 1 and press Ok.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors