As usual Tuesday patch rolls out several cumulative updates, one is KB4540681 for Windows 10 version 1709 (Build 16299.1747). It includes several security updates and certain fixes as well. But the good thing is the team did not document any known issues for this patch.
Users can easily grab this update through the built-in Settings application. Or as an alternative, visit Microsoft Update Catalog page to download the supportable file manually.
KB4540681 Windows 10 1709 Changelog
Here is the list of improvements and fixes that KB4540681 has to offer –
- Developments in security while operating on Microsoft Office products.
- Security updates are also there while using Explorer and Edge browsers.
- Username and password authentication procedure gets updated.
- During the phase when Windows executes basic functions, there are security enhancements.
- Storing and managing files receive updates.
- Certain external devices like printers, scanners, USB flash drives, game controllers get security updates as well.
- KB4540681 deals with an issue that might avoid cursors and icons from appearing as expected.
- Last but not least, security updates to various platforms re out like Windows Media, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Authentication, Windows Peripherals, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Silicon Platform, Windows Update Stack, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Server, Microsoft Edge, Windows Kernel, Windows Core Networking, Windows Cryptography, and Internet Explorer.
No significant problems are reported by Microsoft for this release.
How to Get KB4540681
First of all, the installation of latest servicing stack update (SSU) is important. Doing this prior to grabbing most recent cumulative update (LCU) protects the system in several ways. It enhances the reliability of update procedure which further ensures to bypass potential problems. Moreover, it is quite helpful in applying Microsoft fixes as well.
Users can visit Microsoft Update Catalog to download the compatible version of KB4540681.
Alternatively, navigate to Windows Update Settings page by following these steps –
- Open Windows Settings using “Win logo+I” hotkey.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Click Check for updates button on the right pane of the following page.
- Once the list of updates become visible, click Download.
Source – Release Note