Patch Tuesday releases, 11 October 2022 are being rolled out. One of these is KB5018427 for Windows 11 22H2 which has come up with some remarkable miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes.
Full name of the patch is – 2022-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5018427) where x64 is variable and it can also be ARM64. Let’s see the details of the rollout –
Windows 11 KB5018427 changes, known issues, and download links
Here is the changelog –
Improvements and changes
- This update contains miscellaneous security improvements to internal OS functionality. No additional issues were documented for this release.
|IT admins||Subsequent to receiving this patch, file copies using Group Policy Preferences might create empty shortcuts or files using 0 bytes or fail. Known affected Group Policy Objects are related to shortcuts and files located on User Configuration => Preferences => Windows Settings in Group Policy Editor.||Follow either of the below to mitigate this problem –|
Deselect – Run in logged-on user’s security context (an option in user policy).
Keep in mind that this might not mitigate the problem for items using a wildcard (*).
Change Action from Replace to Update in the affected Group Policy.
In case, a wildcard (*) is used in the destination or location, deleting the trailing \ (backslash) from the destination might allow the copy to be successful.
The experts’ team is working on a resolution and will push an update in an upcoming release.
|Subsequent to receiving this patch, Copying large multi-GB files might take longer than expected to finish on Windows 11 v22H2. You might encounter this problem copying files to Windows 11 22H2 from a network share through SMB aka Server Message Block but local file copy might also be affected. Small office or Home users are not likely to be affected by this problem.||In order to mitigate this, you are able to use file copy tools that don’t use cache manager (buffered I/O). For this, use the built-in command-line tools underneath:|
The expert’s team is working on a resolution and will offer an update in an upcoming release.
How to download KB5018427 and install on Windows 11 22H2
This LCU will change the version to Windows 11 22621.674. Before receiving the patch make sure that the most recent Servicing Stack Update 22000.378 is installed on the system. Now follow any of the below-mentioned methods –
1] Using Auto Windows update
- Click on Search from the taskbar.
- Type – updates.
- Press – Enter.
- On the Settings app, click on – Check for updates.
- Let the patch download and as the process will take time depending on Internet speed of your Network connection.
- Once finished, you will get a pop-up asking when you want to install it. Select – Restart now.
2] Via Manual method
- Click on the KB5018427 download link.
- On the Microsoft update catalog website, look for the standalone file that can support your computer.
- Click on the Download button from the right side.
- A separate page will pop up; click on the link lying there.
- After the .MSU file is downloaded, double click on it.
- Select –Yes.