PowerToys is an excellent tool to enhance prolificacy and is compatible with Windows 11 or Windows 10 1903 (18362) or later. A new version of this utility is made available with a bunch of features. Microsoft PowerToys 0.57.0 is the release that also fixed several old issues.
Microsoft PowerToys v0.57.0 brings active code analyzer, disabled PDF preview by default, New plugin for time and date values or information, etc. Let’s see all the changes.
Microsoft PowerToys 0.57.0 Released with a bunch of new features
Here is the changelog –
- PowerToys Run quality pass. Old standing issues are re-evaluated and fixed.
- Extra features, as well as improvements, are appended to the existing PowerToys Run plugins.
- There is a New plugin for time and date values/information within PowerToys Run.
- The PowerToys Run documentation is also receiving a required update.
- The developer’s team is registering svgs as a picture kind when SVG Thumbnails are enabled so they appear when searching for pictures in File Explorer.
- The experts disabled PDF preview by default, given its incompatibilities with Outlook and that Edge is now being registered for previewing PDF files on Windows 10 too.
- From a coding quality point of view, every project now has code analyzer active.
- A double click on the tray icon is needed instead of single click to open settings.
Always on Top
- New sound for Always on Top activation.
- Microsoft PowerToys 0.57.0 fixes the system tray icon.
- In the new version, Temporary duration presets are configurable.
- Fix for an issue causing Awake to not be closed properly.
- It’s now possible to delete multiple colors from history and also export them to a file.
- The CIEXYZ format has increased precision.
- The performance of ColorPicker is enhanced by reducing the use of low-level keyboard hooks.
- Microsoft PowerToys 0.57.0 fixed a bug where the same layout applied with different configurations to different screens would reset to a single configuration. (This was a hotfix for 0.56)
- In the new version of this utility, when snapping windows with rounded corners on Windows 11, you need to set the correct corner preferences to avoid gaps between zones.
- Fix for canvas layout resetting that occurs because of resolution changes.
Microsoft PowerToys v0.57.0 File explorer
- Additional markdown file extensions added for Markdown Preview.
- Svgs are now registered as a picture kind on Windows.
- The experts of the utility Added a text wrapping setting and copy context menu to the dev file preview.
- Furthermore, Pdf file preview and thumbnails are now disabled by default, because of incompatibility with Outlook and an appropriate warning is shown in Settings.
- In this version, Find my mouse has a novice setting to signify a minimum distance for activation. (This was a hotfix for 0.56)
- Microsoft PowerToys 0.57.0 carries a Fix for the bug causing the task bar to be hidden behind other windows when a mouse utility was active.
- Bring fix for the bug causing shortcuts set on icons to not activate when a mouse utility was active.
- Resolved a slight offset in Mouse Pointer Crosshairs when it’s configured with an odd thickness.
- In this section, a new plugin for time and date values/information.
- Furthermore, WindowWalker has a tooltip, extra features like killing the process and closing the window, additional settings, and improvements.
- The section Unit converter now admits extra methods of writing feet and gallon and interprets as imperial or US gallons based on current culture.
- The same Unit converter now accepts metre for meter.
- Localization for Web Search and Unit Converter (not including units) has been enabled.
- Localization for Windows Terminal has been enabled. (This was a hotfix for 0.56)
- Calculator tries to always interpret the dot (.) symbol as a decimal separator, nevertheless configured culture, to meet expectations.
- The calculator handles trailing zeros on hexadecimal numbers correctly.
- The system commands plugin is able to show the local IP and mac addresses.
- Folder plugin has better results, with improved tooltips.
- In the utility, the Windows settings plugin has included entries for Screen Saver and Connect Wiring Display Panel.
- Plugins can show descriptions for their configurations in settings.
- This version brings fix for the focus problem when calling PowerToys Run for the first time after login and after returning from some windows.
- Also, bring fix for a bug on Program when creating a shortcut.
- Finally, this version validated that upgrading to .net framework 6 solved the error appearing when shutting down the system with PowerToys Run running.
Video conference mute
- Newly added mics are updated and tracked by VCM.
Microsoft PowerToys 0.57.0 Settings
- What’s new button in the bottom with a new look, with a couple more User Interface tweaks.
- The update carries fix for a bug causing Settings not to open when a racing condition caused Keyboard Manager settings to not be read correctly.
- You need double click tray icon to open settings.
- Fix for a bug that would cause checking for updates to run indefinitely.
- When auto-updating, pass a flag to avoid rebooting without being prompted.
- The utility Dependencies installers are now executed with / norestart to avoid unprompted restarts. (This worked as a hotfix for 0.56).
- Upgraded .net framework dependency to 6.0.3.
- Installer logs are stored where they can be gathered and sent by the bug report tool.
- Reverted modifications to start with proper elevation and when installed under a different user since those changes ended up resulting in more issues where PowerToys would start running with the wrong user.
- OOBE code refactor to have all module information in XAML, like in Settings.
- Every project now has analyzers turned on and warnings fixed.
- New patterns are added for code spell-checking and stale entries are removed.
- Extra logging has been added to PowerToys Run and Fancy Zones.
- A new CI release build will not be triggered if all that was changed was just documentation.
- Solved a racing condition leading to flaky build errors when building PowerRename.
- Lastly, centralization of common csproj/vcxproj settings underway.
Microsoft PowerToys 0.57.0 direct download link