You may encounter a weird problem when trying to launch the Xbox app. Instead of being opened, the application shows a message “Xbox needs an update. We are getting Xbox ready for you”. Since the app is fully up-to-date and no update is pending such type of statement is strange. The error generally seems to happen in Windows 11 22H2 and 23H2.
Xbox needs an update message is likely to appear because of some bugs which may be fixed through upcoming Windows updates. Until then this can be fixed by joining the Xbox Insider program and installing the Insider version of app. Furthermore, you can try to solve the issue by resetting or uninstalling and reinstalling the application.
Table of Contents
Xbox needs an update Error
Here is how to fix Xbox needs an update error in Windows 11:
Join the Insider program
Until the error is fixed join the insider program of Xbox because this version of the app runs smoothly without having any glitches. Xbox Insider provides the opportunity to test new and upcoming features, games, and apps in advance. Follow the steps:
- Launch Microsoft Store and type Xbox Insider in the search box.
- From the result, find Xbox Insider Hub and click on Get.
- Once the app loads, click on Join.
- Select Accept on the Terms and Conditions window.
- Click on All about PC gaming preview.
- Select Go.
- Navigate to this link and click on “DOWNLOAD THE APP” button.
- Install the app using XboxInstaller.exe.
- Login to the Xbox App.
- When the issue is fixed uninstall this application and restore the previous one by downloading from Store.
Update the app
Outdated version of Xbox app might be the root cause behind this Xbox needs an update invalid message. Simply updating the application is the remedy that can help you get rid of:
- On Store app click on the Library icon.
- From the right panel, click on Get updates.
Reset the application
Reset is an important tool provided in settings that can delete the app data and lessen the chances of corruption and flaws. Therefore, first of all, try this when searching for a solution to Xbox needs an update:
- Press Windows and I.
- Select Apps.
- Go to Xbox in the right panel and click on 3 dots.
- Choose Advanced options.
- On the next page, click on Terminate.
- Then, select Reset.
Uninstall and reinstall Xbox
If the reset does not work, removing Xbox and reinstalling may solve the problem so follow the steps:
- Go to Settings > Apps > Installed apps > Xbox > 3 dots (ellipsis) and click on Uninstall.
- Restart the computer and open the Microsoft Store.
- Serach for Xbox and click on Get.
- Sign in to the app and check if the issue is solved.
Install available Windows updates
When this error is widespread Microsoft should push updates to deal with this issue that is why installing pending updates is necessary. Hence head to the instructions:
- Right-click on Start and select Settings.
- Choose Windows Update.
- Navigate to the right panel and click on “Check for updates”.
- Allow the build or patch or build to download and click on Restart now at the end.
Run SFC and DISM utilities
Sometimes, the app errors seem to happen because of corrupted system files and flaws in Windows image. But these can be effortlessly solved when using SFC and DISM utilities so run them as follows:
- Click on Start and type cmd.
- Select Run as administrator.
- Once the elevated Command prompt appears, type following lines of commands and press Enter sequentially:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- After you have completed running each of the commands, restart your PC and check if the error is solved.
- If it still persists, type
SFC /SCANNOWand hit the Enter key.
- When system completes scanning and repair restart your computer and check the error.