Upgrade to Windows 10 2004 May 2020 update brought out multiple issues such as Bluetooth not working, BSOD, Data deletion bug. Some users encounter Error 0x1bc when updating Windows Subsystem for Linux after installing the update.
Error 0x1bc occurs when you try to update WSL 2 after updating Windows 10 to v2004 and the message is – “PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wsl –set-default-version 2 Error: 0x1bc”. A simple trick solves this issue and this is also described on Github. However, some users also get This update only applies to machines with the Windows Subsystem for Linux, This action is only valid for products that are currently installed, and other.
WSL 2 Error 0x1bc WSL set default version 2
Here is how to Fix WSL 2 Error 0x1bc set default version 2 in Windows 10 –
- Press Win+R, type Appwiz.cpl, and click OK.
- Once the Programs and Features appears, locate VM (or VM VirtualBox) and Windows Subsystem for Linux.
- Right click on each of them and select Uninstall. Follow the on-screen guidelines until the completion of removal.
- Reboot your computer.
- Update to the Windows 10 2004 using Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 2004 KB4568831. You can follow Windows 10 Build 19042.421 Beta Channel 20H2 KB4568831.
- Now, right click on wsl_update_x64.msi kernel file and select “Uninstall”
- Install the Windows Subsystem for Linux and VM. You can get help from How to Install Linux Subsystem on Windows 10.
- Again restart your system.
- Install wsl_update_x64.msi kernel (See – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/wsl2-kernel).
- Finally, open command prompt as administrator.
- Type the command line
wsl --set-default-version 2and press Enter.
- WSL 2 Error 0x1bc will be fixed hopefully.