Microsoft rolls out another cumulative update KB4486996 for Windows 10 1709 16299.967. This patch deals with certain issues of Microsoft Edge, LmCompatibilityLevel, and a lot more. However, it also releases Security Updates to many areas like Windows Server and Microsoft Scripting Engine.
You will receive the patch automatically, moreover, you can download KB4486996 from Microsoft update catalog. It does not incorporate any important features but definitely contains quality improvements.
KB4486996 for Windows 10 1709 16299.967 Patchday Update – 12 Feb
Below mentioned are the modifications that the patch KB4486996 includes –
- The release of KB4486996 basically focuses on the problem that does not correctly set the LmCompatibilityLevel value. LmCompatibilityLevel mentions the session security as well as authentication mode.
- Another problem that may stop applications that use a Microsoft Jet database with the “Microsoft Access 97” file format from opening is taken care of. This specific issue occurs when the database column names exceed 32 characters. It fails to launch with the error message – Unrecognized Database Format.
- While doing the changes, KB4486996 includes top-level domain support to HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) Preload for Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 web browsers as well.
- Microsoft Edge will no longer prevent you from connecting using an IP address after installing this patch.
- This particular patch pushes security updates to Microsoft Edge browser, Windows Server, Microsoft JET Database Engine, Internet Explorer (IE), Windows Graphics, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Input and Composition, Windows App Platform and Frameworks and Windows Wireless Networking.
KB4486996 Known Issues
|Via local IP address, a certain number of users fail to load a webpage in Edge. This issue specifically occurs after installing KB4480978. Either the webpage becomes unresponsive or the browsing fails.
|Step-1: Open Control Panel and navigate to Internet Options on the applet.
Step-2: Go to the Security tab and do a hit on Trusted Sites icon. Choose the Sites button.
Step-3: Ensure to deselect the checkbox against the option Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone.
Step-4: Now, provide the IP address that failed to load in the box Add this website to the zone.
Step-5: Select the Add button.
Step-6: Moving ahead, choose the checkbox Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone.
Step-7: Click Close and restart Microsoft Edge.
However, in the meantime, Microsoft is figuring out a solution and will shortly provide an update in the upcoming release.
How to Get KB4486996 for Windows 10 1709 16299.967
Prior to installing the update
Prior to installing this patch, Microsoft and the team strongly suggests you install the current SSU. Doing so will eventually improve the reliability of the update process in order to reduce potential problems.
Installing the update
- Open Windows Settings by making a combined hit of Win + I hotkeys.
- Click Update & Security.
- On the right side of the following page, click Check for updates button. However, to get the standalone package, visit the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Source – Release Note