The second Patch Tuesday of 2020 is already here with a bunch of patches for various versions of the operating system including KB4532691 for Windows 10 version 1809. This update takes the OS to version to 17763.1039.
KB4532691 is only a quality update as usual, and no new features accompany it. It comes with a few updates for some system functions for their enhanced performance and protection, including improved security for the browsers, external devices, etc. You can find all about the key highlights of this patch and the ways to get the patch the sections that follow.
KB4532691 Windows 10 1809 changelog
Following are the Highlights, Improvements, and fixes in KB4532691 for Windows 10 version 1809:
- Improvements in relation to the storing and managing of files.
- Relevant updates for upping the security of the browsers and Microsoft office products.
- The patch also contains essential and routine security improvements for Windows Media, Windows Shell, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Management, Windows Hyper-V, Windows Core Networking and the Microsoft Scripting Engine.
- There are also updates for Windows Cryptography, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows Virtualization, Windows Peripherals, Windows Storage and Filesystems, and Windows Server.
- Improved security in the course of using external devices.
Known issues in KB4532691 for Windows 10 version 1809
Given below are the two known issues existing still in the KB4532691 patch for Windows 10 1809. Microsoft’s team of developers is working consistently to resolve these issues and to roll out a permanent fix. Meanwhile, you can manage to get the job done with the recommended workarounds.
Operation failure error “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)” comes up when certain operations, such as rename, are performed on files or folders which are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV). Usually, this whole error situation happens when the user performs the operation on a CSV owner node from a process without any administrative privileges.
As a workaround to this issue, you can try whichever one of the following that suits your situation:
- Carry out the operation from a process that has administrator privilege or
- Do the task from a node that does not have a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) ownership.
Yet another issue with the patch which still remains unresolved is the problem that even after installing KB4493509, the error “0x800f0982 – PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND” comes up on devices with some Asian language packs installed.
As a workaround to this issue, try uninstalling and then reinstalling any recently added language packs. Thereafter, check for updates and make sure that the April 2019 cumulative update is there on your system.
Now, just in case uninstalling and reinstalling the language pack does not work against the issue, reset your PC by:
- Going to the Settings app > Recovery > Get started (under Reset this PC)
- Select Keep my Files.
How to get KB4532691 for Windows 10 version 1809?
Usually, your PC would carry out the automatic installation of monthly patches through Windows update services or WSUS. If you change the settings or if there are any network issues, it may not work. I such scenarios, there is always the option of checking and getting the updates manually. You can also get the entire standalone update package of the new releases by downloading them from the Microsoft update catalog site.
Should your system have all the previous patches in place, your device will only have to download the new fixes available with KB4532691. Note that, for the safe and smooth installation of these monthly patches, the developer recommends downloading the latest SSUs beforehand.
Steps for manually downloading the patches:
- Launch the Settings application by pressing the shortcut keys ‘Win+I’.
- Then, navigate to the Update & security section.
- From the subsections available to your left, make sure ‘Windows updates’ is selected. Click on the ‘Check for update’ link.
- Let the system will scan for any newly released patches. Hit download and let your PC do the rest of the job for you.
- Windows would prompt for a restart for the installation and completion of the process. You simply need to permit when the pop up comes on the screen.
Source – Release note.