Windows 10 2004, 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2 have received a cumulative update to improve Out of Box Experience aka OOBE. KB5005716 is the release that will add an option Upgrade to Windows 11 on compatible devices.
Selecting this option will take to upgrade to Windows 11 after the OOBE process is completed. Windows 10 2004 need to have November 10, 2020—KB4586781 (OS Build 19041.630) Optional: October 29, 2020—KB4580364 (OS Build 19041.610) on Windows 10 2004 in order to install this patch. With this roll out, Microsoft has managed to upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10 2004, 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2. from the Out of Box environment.
KB5005716 for Windows 10 21H2, 21H1, 20H2 and 2004
Here is what this cumulative update says:
This update improves the Windows 10, version 2004, 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2 out-of-box experience (OOBE) by providing eligible devices the option to upgrade to Windows 11 as part of the OOBE process. If the upgrade to Windows 11 is chosen, the upgrade process will begin shortly after OOBE is completed. This update applies only to the Windows 10, version 2004, 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2 OOBE process and will be available only when OOBE updates are installed.
1) This update applies to the following versions –
2) Windows 10, version 2004 (Home and Professional)
3) Windows 10, version 20H2 (Home and Professional)
4) Windows 10, version 21H1 (Home and Professional)
5) Windows 10, version 21H2 (Home and Professional)
For Windows 10 2004
For Windows 10 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2, no additional updates are required.
The system must be rebooted to apply this update.
How to download the patch and install
Make sure that your system matches the prerequisites and then follow the method to download KB5005716 and install –
- Press Windows Key and I on the keyboard.
- On the Settings app, click on Windows update.
- Click Check for updates and allow the patch to complete download in a while.
- Restart your computer when asked.