Redmondians delivered media-related technologies (Windows Media Player) and definite preinstalled applications, for example, Skype, Groove Music, Voice Recorder, and Movies & TV, for Windows 10 v2009 N October 2020 update. You might know that additional software from Microsoft is essential to have this communication functionality.
The aforementioned software will allow you to create or play the audio CDs, and video DVDs, media files in order to broadcast music, or?to capture and accumulate pictures.
Media Feature Pack Windows 10 2009 [20H2] October 2020 Update version
The pack is downloadable via Optional Feature settings in the following method –
- Press the – Windows + I.
- Select the – Apps.
- Click the – Apps & features.
- Choose the link saying – Optional Features.
- Next, click the – Add a feature.
- Locate the Media Feature Pack in the list and click on check box.
- Finally, select the – Install.
Once the process of Media Feature Pack installation gets over, you may find various apps to regain further Windows 10 functionality. Such apps include (but are not limited to):
Media codecs for playback of media in apps and in the browser:
- VP9 Video Extensions
- Web Media Extensions
- HEIF Image Extensions
- Movies & TV
- Groove Music
- Xbox Game Bar
- Windows Voice Recorder
You must have to reboot your computer to accomplish the installation and these will be installed on ?the Windows 10 N powered device.
Media Feature Pack Windows 10 2009 [20H2] Excluded features
This Windows 10 2009 carries the same functionality as other Win10, except for Windows Media Player and associated technologies. Consumers can restore the features of these technologies by receiving the Pack for N versions of Windows 10. These technologies incorporate, but are not limited to, the underneath features –
- Windows Media Player user experience – This empowers all the features of the player.
- Windows Media Player ActiveX control – Reveals the techniques and properties to manage multimedia playback from a web page or an app.
- The “Windows Media Format” – Bestows support for the ASF file container, Media audio and video codecs, fundamental network streaming capability, and DRM.
- Windows Media DRM – Facilitates the secure delivery of protected content for playback on a machine, portable, or network device.
- Media sharing and Play To – This component empowers pictures, and videos, music on a networked system to be shared with other machines and devices to play on the same network. Furthermore, it enables computers to locate those kinds of files on the network.
- Media Foundation – Gives support for content protection, video and audio quality, plus interoperability for DRM.
- WPD infrastructure – Interacts with attached media and storage devices that comprise systems that support the Media Transfer Protocol.
- MPEG, WMA, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, AMR, and Dolby Digital audio codecs – allow the playback of digital audio content, for instance, WMA, ALAC audio, MPEG-2 audio, AAC audio, MP3, FLAC, and AC-3 audio.
- VC-1, MPEG-4, and H.264, H.265, and H.263 codecs – together recognized as?Standards-based codec components. These permit Windows Media Player to support activities that involve recording and playback of multimedia files that are encoded using standards-based codecs.
- Groove Music –An already installed app that is used to run digital music.
- Video – An already installed app that is used to run digital video.
- Voice Recorder – An already installed application that is used to record sound.
- Skype – An already installed app that is used for messaging and communications.
Effects on other features
Some features aren’t eliminated straight from Windows 10 N edition, nevertheless, they are affected by the media technology exclusions. These will no longer work even with the installation of the Media Feature Pack as follows –
- Alarms and clock – Alarm and timer sounds don’t play.
- Application Sync – This feature doesn’t work.
- Cortana Personal Assistant – Cortana with Voice (speech interaction with Cortana) doesn’t work.
- New Microsoft Edge Browser – Particular video streaming websites may have inadequate functionality when accessed through the New Microsoft Edge.
- Group Policy for removable disks – This feature is not available in the N edition of Windows 10 Pro.
- HomeGroup – Incorporated media sharing via streaming features fails to work.
- OneDrive and Photos – These applications cannot play videos.
- PDF Viewing in Edge – This feature doesn’t work.
- Sound Recorder – Recordings are limited to WAV format.
- Webcam – This feature doesn’t work.
- Windows 10 camera devices – Cameras that use the picture transfer protocol (PTP) don’t work.
- The ‘Windows Hello’ – This feature doesn’t work.
- Windows Mixed Reality – Win10 N is doesn’t support with Windows Mixed Reality.
- The “Windows Portable Devices” – No compatibility for media sync, image acquisition, or file browsing is available.
- Windows Store Media Content – Video & audio content that was acquired via the MS Store cannot be run. Moreover, the preview of video or audio content in the Store fails to work.
- Wireless Display – This feature doesn’t work.
- Xbox – Some functionality that’s incorporated with this app,?for example, Game DVR,?doesn’t work.
Source – Microsoft help.