Active Development branch of Windows Insider is getting the next build for the cobalt range. Windows 10 Build 21301 is the update for the Dev channel.
The full build number is 21301.1000.rs_prerelease.210123-164 is the release available for the Insiders. You can install this build through built-in Windows update if you are a member of the Dev channel (former fast ring or early access).
Windows 10 Build 21301.1000 Rs_Prerelease
Here is the changelog –
Improving the design of the touch keyboard
Members of the Windows Insider Program may have noticed some additional touch keyboard design improvements based on feedback. In particular, the following changes were made:
- Undocking the keyboard now switches to a compact layout so you can easily move keyboards around the screen using the area at the top of the keyboard.
- Compact and Split got updated icons that are similar to the default layout icon.
- The settings menu now has a nested structure, which is more visual.
In addition, a new key has appeared to the left of the space to display the entered password, which, of course, will appear only if the focus is on the password field.
Some Insiders may also see an updated default keyboard layout on devices with a screen size of 12 inches or larger. This layout is more similar to traditional keyboards and includes the ESC, Tab, Windows keys, and a few other small improvements.
Finally, some insiders have complained that the word prediction pane sometimes looks cluttered, making it difficult to quickly process the data that appears there. To reduce cognitive load, the panel will now display up to 5 words, all centered above the keyboard.
Changes and improvements
- Now, when you right-click on locally saved files displayed in the Jump Lists, in addition to the Open option, Open File Location will appear.
- Windows 10 Build 21301.1000 Updated the N’Ko keyboard layout to allow users to enter currency signs and some other symbols by holding down the Shift key and clicking on the keys in the top row.
- Now you do not need administrator rights to change the toggle for enabling or disabling the touchpad. The switch is in the “Options” -> “Devices” -> “Touchpad” section.
- Updated dictionaries to improve the relevance of spellchecking and text prediction.
Windows 10 Build 21301.1000 Bug fixes
- We fixed an issue resulting in the taskbar context menu and the News and Interests popup overlapping each other.
- Windows 10 Build 21301.1000 Fixed an issue resulting in up to 100% CPU usage when first launching the News and Interests window in some cases.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Task Manager to crash when going to the Details tab.
- Fixed an issue with some Insiders related to the Clock & Calendar popup that could cause ShellExperienceHost to unexpectedly load the CPU too much.
- Fixed an issue that caused the State Repository Service to terminate prematurely when it was started. If you are affected by this problem, then one of the possible symptoms was an increase in desktop load time upon login. If you continue to experience performance issues while logging in, please submit your diagnostic feedback to Install and Upgrade -> Hang on Login.
- Fixed an issue due to which searching for the “change password” string and selecting an item from the “Settings” application resulted in a crash in the application.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Aero Shake being disabled unexpectedly in the last few builds.
- We fixed an issue where moving a window between monitors with different DPI values ??would result in the window’s borders being calculated with the wrong DPI, and maximizing the window would cause the window to overshoot the screen on one of the monitors.
- Fixed an issue that could result in some HEIF files not rendering even though the required codecs were installed.
- We fixed an issue resulting in pinning a website from Microsoft Edge to the taskbar not working in previous builds.
- We fixed an issue that could lead to multiple VPN connection and disconnection.
- We fixed an issue that could cause Internet connectivity to drop on some 32-bit systems in previous builds.
- Windows 10 Build 21301.1000 fixed an issue resulting in nothing happening after clicking the “Required Wi-Fi password” notification.
- We fixed an issue that could cause some games, such as State of Decay 2 or Assassin’s Creed, to freeze or crash on launch.
- Fixed several issues that prevented Narrator from reading items in the Troubleshooter in scan mode.
- Miracast users may experience very low frame rates in this build.
- We are investigating reports that the system update process may hang for a long time when trying to install a new assembly.
- In Windows 10 Build 21301.1000 they are investigating an issue that affects the stability of the Start menu and other modern applications. The problem occurred in a previous build. If you are affected by it, the Start Menu layout may reset.
- The live preview for pinned site tabs is not yet available to all insiders, so you may see a gray window when you hover over a thumbnail in the taskbar. Engineers are working to improve this feature.
- The engineers are working to enable a new taskbar feature for already pinned websites. However, you can unpin the site from the taskbar, remove it from the edge: // apps page, and then re-pin it.
- [News and Interests] Sometimes the news and interesting information pop-up window cannot be closed with the stylus.
- [News and Interests] The item on the taskbar is taking up more space than expected.
- [News and Interests] The taskbar button may display outdated information every time a user logs on.
- [News & Interests] The popup shows content in one column and then quickly switches to a two-column layout.
- [News and Interests] Text on the taskbar button may appear pixelated on high-resolution screens.
- [News and Interests] Popup closes when trying to share content.
- [News & Interests] In certain cases, the pop-up window may not close until a button on the taskbar is clicked or until the hover effect ends.
- [ARM64] Insiders who have pre-installed the Qualcomm Adreno graphics driver on Surface Pro X may experience reduced display brightness. The issue will be fixed in future updates.