An Out-of-band update is rolled out to Win10 today on 19/05/2022. KB5015020 is the release that addresses authentication failures and Store apps issues. The update will increase the Windows 10 21H2 and 21H1 to 19043.1708 and 19042.1708 respectively.
Full name of this version is – 2022-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based System (KB5015020) where x64 can also be ARM64 or x86. As the CU category Out-of-band update brings essential fixes for the recent vulnerabilities you must install this patch earliest possible.
Windows 10 19042.1708 21H2, 21H1, 20H2 KB5015020 Update
Here is the changelog –
- Addresses a known issue that might cause authentication failures for some services on a server or client after you install the May 10, 2022 update on domain controllers. These services include Network Policy Server (NPS), Routing and Remote access Service (RRAS), Radius, Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), and Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol (PEAP). The issue affects how the domain controller manages the mapping of certificates to machine accounts. This issue only affects servers that are used as domain controllers; it does not affect client Windows devices.
- Addresses an issue that might prevent the installation of Microsoft Store apps when you enable Control-flow Enforcement.
|In the condition when you have acquired the version using a custom ISO image or custom offline media there will be a defect concerned to the Microsoft Edge. The continual legacy version of this app will be eradicated but the Chromium version will not be installed. The hitch occurs when the ISO images or custom offline media are created by slipstreaming this update into the image without having installed the copy of SSU 29/03/2021 or later.|
Attention – In case, you have attached outright to Windows Update to obtain updates the system won’t have been not affected. For example, Windows Update for Business.
|If you want to prevail over this problem first slipstream SSU aka Servicing Stack Update dated 29/03/2021 or further into the custom offline media or ISO image. Also, slipstream the LCU. For this, you need to unpack the SSU from the combination of LCU and SSU for Windows 10 v20H2 and v2004. Unpack the SSU through the method –|
Unpack the cab from the SSU via this command line (the package for KB5015020 as an example): expand Windows10.0- KB5015020-x64.msu /f:Windows10.0- KB5015020-x64.cab <destination path>
Unpack the Servicing Stack Update from the earlier extracted cab via this command line: expand Windows10.0- KB5015020-x64.cab /f:* <destination path>
You will then get the SSU cab, in this instance named SSU- 19042.1708-x64.cab. Slipstream this file into your offline image first, then the LCU.
|Ensuing to getting the 21/06/2021 update named KB5003690), you might not fail to install the 06/07/2021 update (KB5004945) or further. However, you will confront the error code – PSFX_E_MATCHING_BINARY_MISSING.||To see more, go to – KB5005322.|
|Subsequent to receiving this update, an authentication defect occurs when connecting to devices in an untrusted domain through Remote Desktop. The issue is that connections might fail to authenticate through smart card authentication. Divergently, an error appears saying- “Your credentials did not work. The credentials that were used to connect to [device name] did not work. Please enter new credentials.”. Either you may also witness the error “The login attempt failed” in red.||This issue is rescued via KIR aka Known Issue Rollback. Kindly memorize that it might take a utmost of 24 hours as a solution for propagating automatically to non-managed personal devices and non-managed business devices. On the other hand, you can reboot to minimize the time. Enterprise-managed users should download and install a special Group Policy from the below link –|
How to download KB5015020 and install on Windows 10 20H2 21H2, 21H1
Before installing this Out-of-band cumulative update make sure to have the most recent SSU aka Servicing Stack Update. You can follow in this regard – KB5014032 Servicing stack update for Windows 10 version 21H2, 21H1, 20H2. Now follow the guidelines –
1] Using Auto Windows update
- Click on Start.
- Type – updates.
- Press Enter.
- Click on – Check for updates.
- Allow the system for the competition of downloading and click on Restart now when you are asked.
2] Through Microsoft update catalog
- Go to the KB5015020 direct download link.
- Here you will find Standalone packages for all the versions. Look for the file that matches your system architecture and click on Download.
- A link will open with a separate page; click on it.
- The MSU file of the patch will be downloaded.
- Double click on this to launch and select Yes on the prompt.