You might be facing a weird problem in Windows 11 when trying to extract a RAR or other compressed file. 23H2 version has added a functionality to uncompress .tar, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .tbz2, .tzst, .tar.xz, .tgz, tar.zst, .txz, .7z, and .rar files. This feature is not fully added to this version that’s why you encounter this issue. The error message displayed while extracting the file is “An unexpected error is preventing the archive from being extracted. Error 0x8096002A: No error description available”.
The main cause behind error code 0x8096002A is the underdeveloped functionality of the inclusion of .rar file extraction in Windows 11 version 23H2. Until the development is completely finished (no official source) you can use a trustworthy third party decompression software such as 7zip, WinRAR, or WinZip. Once the enhanced compression feature is added to 23H2 you can use the built-in setting to extract compressed files.
Error 0x8096002A: No Error Description Available in Windows 11
Here is how to fix Error 0x8096002A The Extraction Operation was not Completed in Windows 11:
Use a third-party tool
As suggested, a third-party extraction tool is the most preferential solution to this issue for the time being. Download one of the software 7zip, WinRAR, and WinZip, and install it following the instructions. Then extract the desired file using this tool.
Install Windows updates
Because the extraction functionality is under development there is always a chance for rolling out of an update having this feature. Therefore, check for updates and install if any are pending using the below guidelines:
- Press Windows and I.
- Type updates and hit Enter.
- Click on Check for updates.
- Wait for a little time and allow the pending to download.
- Once completed, click on Restart now.
Join the Windows Insider Program
Recent Windows 11 insider builds include the functionality of extraction using built-in settings. If you are sure to uncompress files without having third party program then join the Windows Insider Program with the following steps:
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Select Windows Update from the left panel.
- Go to the right and click on Windows Insider Program.
- Select Get Started.
- Then, click on Link account.
- Select your email account and Continue.
- After the account is linked and then choose a channel.
Use DISM command line tool
Running DISM can solve error 0x8096002A as this issue may arise from a corrupt system image. So execute this tool in the following way:
- Click on Search and type cmd.exe.
- Select Run as administrator.
- Copy-paste the following commands and press Enter sequentially:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- In the end, restart your PC.