INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT is a kind of BSOD error and found to cause severe trouble in the Windows 10. The device restarts suddenly showing blue screen with bug check value 0x00000006 while the issue occurs. If you go in technicality the problem takes place when OS summons KeStackAttachProcess routine and subsequently calling KeUnstackDetachProcess in the driver’s implementation of the PLOAD_IMAGE_NOTIFY_ROUTINE callback function. This callback is performed in a thread of the same process which loads the image.
INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT is not so common with the regular users, to be honest. Unfortunately, if you come across the same, we can undoubtedly call it a BSOD error in Windows. Being a regular user, this one can cause serious damage to the system since caused by problematic drivers and software as well. In the worst cases, dreadful hardware is too responsible. Blue Screen error alternatively Stop errors forces the Windows to restart automatically every after few minutes leaving no room to work along. Moreover, hanging of the desktop and mouse pointer is pretty common. As a BSOD error, you will receive continuous annoying flashing on the screen and that’s pretty unacceptable.
Solutions to INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT
Here is how to fix INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPTin Windows 10 –
Before we move on straightway, let’s have sharp look at the causes and symptoms responsible for error 0x00000006 in the below section.
Causes responsible for INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT
In the beginning, we have come to know about the causes of INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT error in Windows 10 for both of the Programmer as well as regular users in a flash. Being a member of the second group, you need to know that, few other issues are evident to cause the vulnerability too.
- First of all, INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT error is more likely to occur in a general PC due to a corrupted, old and buggy device driver.
- Virus once gets inside of the system might delete the necessary system files as well as program files to call up the error 0x00000006.
- DLL files are deleted, missing or lost by mistake.
- Corrupted registry entries from a newly installed software.
- Corruption in the entries due to incomplete uninstallation of a program.
- Incompatible Drivers with the Operating System.
- A conflict between a newly installed software and driver with any other previously installed one.
- Damaged Hard Disk is one of the most venerable things to get affected by Error 0x00000006.
- Installing a BIOS or Firmware that incompatible or else damaged.
- A conflict between the drivers while installing a new Hardware.
- Mistakenly deleting necessary files from the system by mistake or due to the installation of a new program.
- Corruption in the RAM, USB stick.
- Various unknown issues coming from software, Hardware, Firmware, Driver can reproduce the INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT blue screen errors.
- Incorrect allocation of Memory in Windows 10.
Following list contains the symptoms you might see in your desktop after being affected with by INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT BSOD error.
indications of INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT error
- The major indication once the system is affected with error code 0x00000006, is a repeated restarting of Windows without prior concern.
- The device runs at a very slow operational speed, especially while working with external gadgets such as Mouse, Keyboard or Printer.
- Computer freezes for few seconds significantly and later on become normal automatically.
- The occurrence of the error message – “A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file:”
- An active program window crashes with text on display – INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT.
- The computer shows error message “INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT”.
- System Crashes with Error 0x00000006 when running two similar programs.
- Frequent notification in the system tray with an error message- “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info, and then we’ll restart for you”.
If any of these indications matches with your desktop, cannot really sit idle but to go for the immediate actions against INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT error.
Fix: INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT BSOD error
Users are getting INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT from long before and so many experts given maximum efforts to resolve the same. Some of them successfully recovered the device from its grasp while few didn’t succeed. We have worked out with a series of these fixes and co-coordinating them, presenting a good number of workarounds that have the potentials to remove the issue completely. We will start from the easiest solution first then move ahead to complex ones. So, let’s begin with the simplest –
Disable Automatic Restart
As a regular user, you might expect to Restart the Windows as per you want it but the whole seems messed up once error INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT affects the system. We consider this as the first priority and try to disable Automatic Restart of Windows. We cannot really term this as a resolution rather will offer you enough scope to deploy workarounds accordingly. You can proceed with the following steps –
Step-1: Do a click on Taskbar Search and write control panel in the text field.
Step-2: Once the result shows up, hit Enter.
Step-3: Make the applets view either into a small or large icon, locate System and do a click on it.
Step-4: When the new window rolls out on screen, select Advanced system settings from the left pane.
Step-5: On the System Properties wizard, hit the Advanced tab.
Step-6: Moving ahead, click the Settings button located under the Startup and Recovery section (see snapshot).
Step-7: On the next wizard, go to System failure and uncheck Automatically restart option.
Step-6: Finally, hit the OK button to implement the modifications.
Run Windows 10 blue screen Troubleshooter
Microsoft is trying to make Windows 10 a complete solution for all issues even self-created ones as well. With each update, the operating system is getting better than before. Microsoft introduced Troubleshooter on Windows 10 Settings app with the advent of Creators Update edition. If you are using any version greater than this edition, can access the utility to resolve INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT BSOD error in Windows 10. Follow with the below proceedings for this –
- Press Win+S at one go and move the cursor to bottom left corner and select the Gear icon.
- When the Settings app is loaded fully, move on to Update & Security section and eventually make a click on it.
- On the following page, select Troubleshoot from the left pane and then shift to the corresponding right side.
- Select Blue Screen option from there, and click Run the Troubleshooter button as shown in the below picture.
After putting this tool into effect, Windows will fix the issues automatically and you can resolve the error 0x00000006 pretty easily.
Boot the PC in Safe Mode
From the beginning after developing Windows 10 Microsoft observed a bunch of notorious bugs, problems, errors are following it. Hence, bringing something was indeed that could effectively block these all. From this hypothesis, Safe boot made its way out. The tool is considered as the most common remedy for all the BSOD error including INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT in Windows 10. When executed, Windows will start with loading with default apps and services only. Therefore, there is a little possibility of recurrence the error again and if so, you can leave all these here. Otherwise, we are quite sure that any third party application or hardware issue is causing the vulnerability. There are few w , here we are describing one.
- Press the “Win + I” hotkeys from the keyboard and invoke Windows Settings app on screen.
- Once opened, move on to Update & Security section and do a click on it once reached.
- On the succeeding window, select Recovery from the left pane and move along to right side.
- Move the cursor to “Advanced startup” section and execute a click the button “Restart now“.
- As your Windows reboots choose the option Troubleshoot from the Startup Screen.
- Moving on, hit on Advanced Options and then Startup Settings.
- Choose “Enable Safe Mode”. Press Restart.
- After restarting select “Enable Safe Mode” by hitting F4.
Remove faulty Windows update files
Microsoft releases updates frequently having new features and bug fixes. You need to grab those using the built-in Settings application. This is a usual procedure and really do not indulge into troubles at midway. Anyway, if the installation process terminates abnormally, you will have BSOD. The best resolution in this respect is to remove these dreadful files immediately. Accomplish the task using the following guidelines.
- First and foremost, open Windows Settings app in your computer.
- Click Update & Security category on the following interface of Settings.
- Choose Windows Update from the left side.
- Switch to the right pane and select the View update history link. On the next page, execute a hit on Uninstall updates.
Uninstall Windows 10 Program integrated to INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT file
Presence of two or more similar type of programs in the operating system often conflicts with each other. In the process deletes few necessary files and BSOD error evolves. Therefore, uninstalling them if not useful will come out successful while resolving INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT BSOD error in Windows 10. Proceed with following steps for this –
Step-1: Press Windows + I shortcut keys all together to open Windows Settings, the built-in application.
Step-2: Click Apps category on the main interface of the app.
Step-3: This will by default display Apps & features page. Switch to the right and locate the program causing issues with INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT file.
Step-4: Once found, make a click on it and select Uninstall option from the extended pane.
Step-5: Again, Click Uninstall.
Step-6: To remove the application completely, click on Uninstall once more when a pop-up appears.
Step-7: Upon completion, go to the official manufacturer website and Download them to install again.
Make Drivers up to date with Device Manager
We have discussed early on that, INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT BSOD error in Windows 10 rises up due to an outdated device driver. Users can have this worst experience just after installing a new Hardware in the Computer. People often have similar issues after using a problematic USB stick also. Installing these drivers from unauthorized websites or often using the drive from Delivery package call up the BSOD error. Microsoft provided Device Manager as a part of fix and you can access the utility as following –
- Press Window and R key at once to open run box.
mmc devmgmt.mscin given place and hit Enter.
- When Device Manager comes into the sight, trace out the devices having exclamation mark beside it.
- Once found, expand the same by double tapping.
- Right-click on the items that have a yellow indication and choose Update driver.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the procedure and when you are done, Restart the Windows to make the changes effective.
Reconnect External Hard Drive in the correct order
At present, the built-in Hard Disk space is not at all enough to store so many necessary files, movies, study materials So many reports are filed that, INVyALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT BSOD error in Windows 10 is prominent after connecting external Hard Disk. Therefore, you have no way but to remove it and later on reconnect it going through correct procedures. The guidelines are as follows –
- Disconnect all the plugged external accessories.
- Restart your device.
- If the machine boots successfully, replug the devices one by one and check which hardware is causing Blue Screen of Death issue.
- After getting, download and install the update of the same hardware from the manufacturer website.
Perform Full system scan for Malware in Windows Security
Malware once affects the operating system, tends to delete system components and necessary programs for running the Operating system. Eventually, INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT BSOD error occurs in Windows 10. Malware scan in the whole system through Windows Security might be the best solution in this regard. Following guidelines will help you do so –
- Move the cursor to the notification bar located on the extreme right corner of the Taskbar.
- Locate shield icon from there and click on the same to open Windows Security.
- Once the app shows up, click Virus & threat protection and then choose Scan options link from the corresponding right.
- On the next page, select the radio button of Full scan and thereafter click on the Scan now button to initiate the process.
- The system will now start searching for threats available in the system. If it gets any, click Clean threats to eradicate the issue.
- In order to learn more details about the malware, click on See threat details.
- On the subsequent window, you will be offered three actions for the threat. Select the radio button of Remove and click Start actions option.
Uninstall all third-party Anti-malware programs
With Internet ruling out all over, we have got to live with this blissful thing easily and comfortably. But unfortunately, the Whole security system is a bit shaky. Anytime you can be a pray to malware and spyware. Often we use Third party free Antivirus programs for resolving those Viruses. All these are not equally helpful rather end up causing error INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT. As a remedy of this issue, Microsoft introduced the best Utility ever for Malware issue and Windows Security is a complete solution. Hence, you can remove this third-party software without any hesitation. We were having Avast Antivirus program in our system and hence showing how to remove it for an example.
- Open Run dialog and once turns up, type appwiz.cpl in the text field followed by pressing Enter.
- In the Programs and Features window, locate Avast Free Antivirus and do a click on it.
- Hit Uninstall button located at the top.
- Avast setup menu will now prompt up on the screen. Shift to Uninstall tab and then click on Next.
- A warning message entitled “An attempt has been made to uninstall Avast!” will be shown. Confirm that you want to uninstall it and let the process begin.
- Wait patiently as the action will take a few seconds to be done. Upon completion, the system will show you a message mentioned “Uninstall finished”
- Finally, the utility will ask you to Reboot the system. Select Restart and click on Finish.
When the device reboots, every bit of this security service will be permanently removed.
If you are using another antivirus, Also Read –
- Fully Uninstall Norton from Windows 10
- Completely Uninstall AVG Zen Antivirus (Management Console)
- Uninstall McAfee Livesafe From Windows 10
- Completely Disable Quick Heal Antivirus
Run Windows System File Checker (“sfc /scannow”)
Every Windows update released by Microsoft suffered from so many unknown bugs including error INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT. Corruption in the System files mostly cause these types of BSOD errors. Therefore, tech giants introduced System File Checker so that to eliminate these files. This is one by far the utility deployed in the Command Prompt in this regard. Sfc /scannow will check and inspect all the necessary files in the Windows Operating System including DLL files. This is how you need to proceed –
- Press Win+R hotkeys in one go to invoke Run Dialog.
- Write down cmd.exe in the text bar located next to Open.
- To Open Command Prompt as Admin, press Ctrl +Shift + Enter keys at the same time.
- Once it becomes visible, type
sfc /scannowafter the blinking cursor and to execute its duty hit Enter.
Wait until the scan is complete. If any corrupt or faulty files are found, the tool will make an attempt to repair them.
Running Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool
Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool is a built-in utility brought to us by Microsoft which comes useful in case of dreadful image files in Windows. In the process, INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT BSOD error in Windows 10 can be resolved as well. To execute the workaround –
- Press Win+S simultaneously to open Taskbar search.
- Type cmd.exe in the search bar and when the result appears, click on Run as administrator.
- If you see a User Account Control, Click on Yes to give consent.
- After the Command Prompt comes into the sight, type the following text code after blinking cursor and hit Enter –
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Note – If the procedure gets stuck at around 20%, don’t worry as it’s a normal incident.
- When the DISM scan is over, Reboot your device.
Run CHKDSK Utility
Dreadful segments in Hard Disk results in BSOD error like INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT BSOD error in Windows 10. CHKDSK tool powered by Microsoft is the best fix for identifying these sectors and fixing them accordingly. To initiate it, follow these steps –
- Launch Elevated Command prompt on the screen.
- Once the UAC prompts for permission, Choose Yes option to proceed on next.
- On the black accent window, type the command based on the format shown here- chkdsk [Drive:] [parameters]
- On the above command, chkdsk command will exhibit only the status of the disk but unfortunately will not fix any issues. Therefore, on the later part of this drive letter, type the following parameters– /f /r /x
Here, the letter f directs CHKDSK for fixing the errors found in the volume
Parameter r orders the utility for tracing out the defective sectors in the volume as well as recover the readable data.
Letter x will force the tool to dismount before starting the process.
Therefore, the full command will be – chkdsk [Drive:] [parameters]. After inserting the drive name and other parameters, it is-
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Note – In the command, C: represents the location of Operating system installed. Instead, you can use D:, E: and so on if used for installing Windows 10.
Run Disk Cleanup utility
Daily working with the machine produces a lump of junks in the system and those occupy most of the Hard Disk memory. These files occupy huge space and Drive runs in a shortage of free space resulting in slower operation. Besides, error 0x00000006 is also prominent. Disk Cleanup utility is best suited for freeing up space in Hard Drive. We will use it for this purpose like the following guidelines explains –
- Make a combined press on the Win+R hotkeys and let Windows invoke Run Dialog on screen.
- Write cleanmgr in the search box followed by clicking OK button.
- When the dialog appears on the display, hit a click on the drop-down menu eventually choose C: drive then hit the Enter key.
- The utility will start analyzing the whole room and calculate how much space it can retrieve.
- Proceeding forward, perform a click on the option Clean up system files when a wizard is visible on the screen.
- One more time, select the same drive and let the Disk Cleanup for (C:) to be appearing on the display.
- Ensure that, nothing important is available in the Recycle Bin and afterward, check all the options leaving Downloads option unchecked.
- Lastly, hit a click on the OK option to proceed with the resolution.
Getting Windows Up-to-date
Microsoft has dedicated the technical squad for latest upgrade and bug fixes. As a part of this noble task, Updates are available frequently. Very often Outdated Windows System files can cause INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT BSOD error in Windows 10. Hence, Downloading and installing the update files is only a remedy. Proceed with the following guidelines –
- Hit the Start button and select the Settings cog.
- Proceeding forward to the Settings App, move ahead to Update & Security tile hit a click on this one.
- On the following page, select Windows update option from the left pane and move alongside right.
- Select the Check for updates option if you are already up to date. Otherwise, choose the Download option if an update is available.
Fix up RAM issues
Dreadful RAM and incorrect allocation of memory are also responsible for INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT BSOD error in Windows 10. Therefore scanning as well as fixing these sectors is a dire need to resolve the mentioned issue. You might find this little difficult, hence you can easily go Memory Diagnostic tool. Follow these steps to resolve –
- Firstly, Save all the ongoing processes and close them.
- Move the cursor to the bottom left corner select the Taskbar search option.
- Type Windows Memory in the empty box and when it is visible on screen, hit a click on Windows Memory Diagnostic.
- Once the Popup rolls up, choose the Restart now and check for problems (recommended) option to proceed ahead.
- You will observe sharply a Blue screen window detecting memory issues of the device. After completing 100%, Windows will restart automatically.
- The test result will be available in the notification once you sign back into the machine.
- If you find the process a bit complicated, you can navigate through this path- Start Menu => Event Viewer => Windows Log => System.
Use Previous System Restore Point
This process requires a previously created Restore Point and you can definitely skip this process in case of having no such thing. Upon application to this resolution, the Operating system will roll back to a point of no error. Here is the detail of the method –
- Hit a Right-click on the Start button from the left corner of the screen and Select the Run option from there.
- Write rstrui in the search box followed by clicking on OK allowing the System Restore wizard to appear on the screen.
- Staying on the current window, choose the Next option letting Windows to generate Restore Point of the device.
- If you want to see more of the Restore points, do a click on the checkbox beside Show more restore points option.
- Choose the last restore point and hit a click on the Next option to go ahead
- Proceeding on the following page, select Finish to proceed finally.
Perform a Clean Install
If you have come this far, we can expect that you have tried all the above resolution processes, yet could not manage to resolve INVALID PROCESS DETACH ATTEMPT in Windows 10. Don’t be frustrated and lose hope as we have the last option standing yet. At this concern, Performing Clean Installation can play a one-man show. It can eliminate all the errors and issues if done perfectly. Make sure you have saved all the important files in a Safe place before starting to deploy the resolution.
This workaround has little professional tone hence, we recommend you to seek help from skilled technicians and install the Latest Update files if you are not confident enough. Otherwise, follow How to Clean Install Windows 10 October 2018 Update.