Today is Patch Tuesday and Microsoft bursts with cumulative updates for all the versions of Windows 10. Hats off to the company for coming with the update packages in such a pandemic and lockdown situation. Windows 10 1809 receives KB4551853 increasing the version to 17763.1217.
KB4551853 includes the security update for the aforesaid version and some changes and fixes in the built-in browsers and shell launcher. You can download and install the patch using the methods given in the last part.
KB4551853 Windows 10 1809 17763.1217 update changelog
Here is KB4551853 Changelog –
Main points –
- KB4551853 to improve security when using the browsers Internet Explorer/IE and Microsoft Edge.
- The patch enhances security during usage of Office products.
- Package (Patch Tuesday) boosts security for stylus, keyboard, or mouse.
- Makes the security better when using Xbox.
- The patch carries the update for verifying passwords and usernames.
- The package enhances security when Windows executes basic operations.
- This build brings updates for managing and storing files.
KB4551853 Windows 10 1809 17763.1217 update Improvements and fixes
Important changes in the update are –
- The patch Tuesday security update modified the 2020 start date for DST/daylight saving time in the Kingdom of Morocco.
- Package includes PowerShell Launcher v2 to enhance usability and reliability. The new launcher lets you particularize a UWP/Universal Windows Platform app as the replacement shell. Details can be seen here – Use Shell Launcher to create a Windows 10 kiosk.
- The experts attempted on an issue that prevents a call to NCryptGetProperty() from returning the correct pbOutput value. The problem occurs when pszProperty is set to Algorithm Group and you are running a TPM/Trusted Platform Module 1.2 device.
- As usual, the Patch Tuesday Security updates carry patches for Windows Core Networking, I IE/Internet Explorer browser, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, MGC/Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Shell, Xbox, Edge web browser, Windows Fundamentals, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Authentication, Windows Kernel, Windows Linux, Windows Cryptography, Windows Update Stack, IIS/Internet Information Services, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows Input and Composition, Active Directory, Storage and Filesystems, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
Known issues of the update
|You may confront the error code – 0x800f0982 – PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND|
The issue occurs when you receive the patch KB4493509, and your device has Asian languages.
|First of all, uninstall and then again install the language packs. See the instructions in – How to Configure Display and Input Language Settings on Windows 10.|
Now click on Check for Updates and receive the Cumulative Update for April 2019. You can get help from – Update Windows 10.
Important – If the above solution doesn’t work perfectly then reset your PC with the underneath procedure –
In near future, Microsoft will be available with a resolution through a release.
How to install the KB4551853 Windows 10 1809 17763.1217
Remember to install Servicing stack update for the version before receiving this patch. The latest SSU is KB4549947.
There are 2 methods to install KB4551853 –
1] Through Windows update
- Open Settings (using Windows log and I shortcut combination).
- Choose “Update & Security”.
- Go to the right pane of Windows update tab.
- Click on Check for updates.
- Wait until the system detects the file and click on Download.
- Finally, install it.
2] Using Microsoft Update Catalog (Manual)
Go to Microsoft update catalog.
Type KB4551853 in the search box and download the file matching with your system architecture.
Double click on the .MSU file and follow the on screen instructions.
Source – Release note.