A non-security update is rolling out today on 30/06/2021!. Windows 10 version 201H1, 20H2, and 2004 are getting a patch taking the OS build to 19043.1082, 19042.1082, and 19041.1082 respectively. KB5004760 is the release that addresses issue related to PDF in Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). This update also brings SSU (Servicing stack updates) for all these 3 versions.
You can install this out of band out of band update through auto Windows update moreover using the Microsoft update catalog website.
KB5004760 Windows 10 21H1, 20H2, 2004 Out of band update
Here is the changelog –
Bug fixes and Improvements
- Addresses an issue that might prevent you from opening PDFs using Internet Explorer 11 or apps that use the 64-bit version of the WebBrowser control. Additionally, a PDF might render as just a gray background when using the Adobe Acrobat plug-in.
|A prevailing issue concerned with Microsoft Japanese IME still occurs in this update. When you enter Kanji characters in an app that automatically allows the input of Furigana characters, you might not see the correct characters. As a workaround, You might need to type the Furigana characters using the IME manually.
Important – The apps that are affected are using the ImmGetCompositionString() function.
|A team is working on a resolution and you will receive an update in a future release.|
|Some devices having installations created from either custom ISO image or offline media might still possess the browser Microsoft Edge Legacy. However, an update has already arrived to replace the browser with the new (chromium) Microsoft Edge. This problem occurs when slipstreaming creates this media without having first installed the SSU rolled out on 29/03/2021 or later.
Important – If you have enabled automatic Windows Update you will no longer be affected. This comprises devices that use Windows Update for Business. If you obtain Windows Update you should always get SSU furthermore LCU and you don’t need to follow any additional steps.
|To stay away from this problem, slipstream the servicing stack update pushed on 20/03/ 2021 or later into the ISO image or custom offline media before slipstreaming the LCU. In order to do this with the consolidated SSU and LCU packages now used for Windows 10 20H2 and v2004, you will need to extract the SSU from the combined package. Pursue the steps to extract the SSU –
1. Unpack the cab using command line (using the package for KB5000842 as an example): “expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.msu /f:Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab <destination path>” (without quotes).
2. Unpack the SSU from the previously extracted cab using – expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab /f:* <destination path>” (without quotes).
3. You will then have the SSU cab, in this instance named SSU-19041.903-x64.cab. Further, Slipstream this file into your offline image together with LCU.
In case of confronting this problem, you can mitigate it by installing the new Microsoft Edge. To broadly deploy the Chromium Microsoft Edge for business, navigate to Download and deploy Microsoft Edge for business and read the detail.
How to download KB5004760 and install
Since SSU is wrapped in the cumulative update follow the methods directly to install the patch –
1. Through Windows update
- Click the – Start.
- Type in – updates.
- When the Settings page appears, click – Check for updates.
- Wait until the patch is downloaded and lastly click on – Restart now.
2. Via Windows update catalog
- Click the KB5004760 direct download link.
- Locate the correct file relevant for your system and matching with your CPU architecture.
- Click on the – Download.
- A separate page will prompt; click the lone link there.
- Once the MSU file is downloaded; double click to install the update.