Several users have been suffering from VPN issues after receiving 11/01/2022 LCU KB5009543 because of IPsec connection negotiation failure. An out-of-band update is rolled out today on 17/01/2022 that may deal with the problems with L2TP connection. Let’s see how the release helps the users. KB5010793 is the update that brings some more changes and bug fixes for Windows 10 21H2, 21H1, 20H2, and 2004. However, you can easily solve the error following the methods in – How to Fix VPN KB5009543 Problem in Windows 10.
This non-security update KB5010793 increases the versions to 19044.1469, 19043.1469, and 19042.1469 for the WIndows 10 21H2, 21H1, and 20H2 respectively. If you are getting the VPN error then this out-of-band Windows update might help you get rid of it. Also, see – Fix: IPsec Negotiation Failure is Preventing Connection Windows 10.
Out of band update KB5010793 changes and bug fixes
Here is the changelog –
Changes and bug fixes
- The out-of-band patch addresses IP Security (IPsec) connections that contain a Vendor ID to fail. Virtual Private Network connections using L2TP aka Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol or IP security Internet Key Exchange i.e. IPSEC IKE might also be affected.
- KB5010793 addresses Windows Server restarting problems that occur after installing the 11/01/2022 patch on domain controllers / DCs.
- Addresses Active Directory (AD) attributes that could not write properly when you make multiple attribute changes during an operation for modifying Lightweight Directory Access Protocol aka LDAP.
- Finally, addresses an issue that might prevent removable media that is formatted using the Resilient File System aka ReFS from mounting or might cause the removable media to mount in the RAW file format. This issue occurs after installing the 11/02/2022 Windows update.
This is a prevailing issue; if you have installed the Windows 10 using either Microsoft Edge Legacy might not be substetuted with the chromium version of the same browser. However, the legacy version might be removed. This problem particularly occurs if you have not installed SSU 29/03/2021 or later but installed the Windows 10 using ISO images or custom offline media created by slipstreaming this update.
Remark – if your PC is connected straight to Windows Update to obtain updates you will not be affected. This known issue affected mainly the PC getting Windows Update for Business.
If you don’t want to encounter this, ensure to slipstream the Servicing Stack Update 29/03/2021 or later into the custom offline media or ISO image. Then start slipstreaming the Cumulative Update. Further, follow the steps –
- Extract the cab from the msu using command line (using the package for KB5010793 as an example): expand Windows10.0-KB5010793-x64.msu /f:Windows10.0-KB5010793-x64.cab <destination path>
- Extract the Servicing Stack Update from the earlier extracted cab via this command line: expand Windows10.0-KB5010793-x64.cab /f:* <destination path>
- You will then have the Servicing Stack Update cab, in this example named SSU-19042.1469-x64.cab. Slipstream this file into your offline image first, then the Latest Cumulative Update.
- In case, you have already confronted this problem then you can directly install the Chromium Microsoft Edge. Furthermore, you can download and deploy the new Microsoft Edge for business following this link. Download and deploy Edge.
After obtaining the 21/06/2021 patch aka KB5003690, some machines fail to install new updates. For example, 06/07/2021 update KB5004945 or further updates. In this process, the error message that appears is, PSFX_E_MATCHING_BINARY_MISSING.
Solve this problem from KB5005322.
You might not be successful in establishing connection to authenticate via smart card authentication. This issue occurs when you are trying to connect to devices in an untrusted domain through Remote Desktop.
The message pop up that might show up is – Your credentials did not work. The credentials that were used to connect to [device name] did not work. Please enter new credentials. and The login attempt failed in red.
You can easily solve this via Rollback Aks KIR. Remember that the propagation might eat up to 24 hours for the resolution. If you are running an enterprise-managed system then resolve it by installing and configuring a special Group Policy located at the following link. You must have to reboot the system after performing configuration.
Group Policy installation files:
Note – Verify that you are using the proper Group Policy for your version of Windows.
How to download KB5010793 and install on Windows 10 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2
Before installing this CU make sure that your device has installed 19042.1371, 19043.1371, or 19044.1371 on Windows 10 20H2, 21H1, and 21H2 respectively. Then follow the steps in the ways –
Method-1: Through auto Windows update
- Press – Windows key.
- Type – updates.
- Hit – Enter.
- Click on Check for updates.
- The out-of-band update will be soon downloaded and ask you for a restart time; click on – Restart now.
Method-2: Directly from Microsoft update catalog
- Go to KB5010793 Direct download link.
- This will take you to the Microsoft update catalog website.
- Find the update file compatible with your system. Click on – Download.
- Go to the download location on your PC and double click on the file having .MSU file format.
- If a confirmation dialog prompts, click on Yes.