Snipping tool is an extremely important utility that has its future on Windows especially because of the screen recording trends. Microsoft is inputting much effort to make it more user-friendly and feature-rich. But unfortunately, at frequent times, users encounter issues related to this screenshot-taking and screen recording app. We have already written solutions for Snipping Tool Automatically minimizes after taking snip in Windows. Now a new issue occurs; the Snipping tool keeps opening automatically and randomly on Windows 11.
In several cases, the tool frequently opens because of the default setting, “Use the Print Screen key to open Snipping Tool”. Disabling this Accesibility setting might solve the problem. Sometimes the problem arises because of the corrupted AppData of the tool.
The snipping tool keeps opening automatically
Here is how to fix Snipping tool keeps opening automatically in Windows 11:
Change the Accessibility setting
Accessibility Setting includes an option to involve PrtSc key on keyboard to launch Snipping Tool. This setting is responsible for the current problem where Snipping tool prompts up on the screen frequently. To quickly fix, change the setting:
- Press Windows and I.
- Select Accessibility from the left menu.
- On the left side, scroll down to the Interaction section.
- Click on Keyboard.
- From the next page, turn off Use the Print screen key to open screen capture.
- Now the Snipping tool should not open randomly.
Suppose this setting is greyed out or creating a problem when turning off you can change this “Print Screen setting” using Registry Editor:
- Click on Start and type regedit.exe.
- Hit Enter and copy-paste the following path into the address bar of Registry Editor:
- Double-click on the DWORD PrintScreenKeyForSnippingEnabled.
- Change the Value data to 0 and click on OK.
- Restart your computer and see if the issue is fixed.
Reset Snipping Tool
Corrupted appdata in Snipping tool might cause the Snipping tool to show abnormal behavior. Resetting the app will repair the corruption and bring the brand new application again so follow the steps:
- Right-click on Start and select Settings.
- Select Apps > Installed apps.
- Locate Snipping tool in the list and click on 3 dots.
- Select Advanced options.
- Scroll down to the Reset section and click on Repair.
- After that check if the problem is solved.
- In case, the Sipping tool still opens, click on Reset.
- Finally, restart the system and check.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Snipping Tool
Uninstalling and reinstalling the app may fix the random opening of the app so follow the instructions:
- Go to Settings (Win+I) > Apps > Installed apps.
- Find Snipping tool and click on ellipsis (3 dots).
- Select Uninstall.
- Click on Start and select Microsoft store.
- Type snipping tool in search and select the same from the drop-down result.
- Click on Get and wait for a while.
Sometimes removing Snipping tool via Windows PowerShell also works:
- Press Windows + S and type Powershell.
- Select Run as administrator.
- Type the following cmdlet and hit “Enter”:
get-appxpackage *Microsoft.ScreenSketch* | remove-appxpackage
- Go to Microsoft Store and install the tool.
Execute clean boot
If the above methods fail to work and Snipping tool keeps opening issue still occurs then third-party programs are likely a culprit. Clean Boot will bypass all these types of services and hindrances:
- Press Windows and R keys.
- Type msconfig and click OK.
- Once System Configuration appears, go to the Services tab.
- Check the box reading Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click on Disable all.
- Select the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager link.
- Right-click on the apps in the list and select Disable.
- After completing each app, close Task Manager.
- On the System Configuration window, click on Apply and OK.
- Click on Restart from the confirmation dialog.
- Now the issue must be solved.