Several changes, bug fixes, and improvements home to Windows 10 22H2 on the Patch Tuesday security update of October 2023. The distribution is KB5031356 which mainly brings protection against CVE-2023-44487. This LCU changes the version to Windows 10 19045.3570 and 19044.3570 respectively.
Full name of the rollout is 2023-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5031356) where x64 is changeable and it can also be x86 or ARM64 depending on the architecture of the system. This is available through automatic mode and for manual installation as well. See about September’s release: Windows 10 KB5029244 Security Update is out for 22H2. Let’s look at what is new in this October’s update:
KB5031356 Windows 10 19045.3324 and 19044.3324 changes, bug fixes, and improvements
Here is the changelog:
Improvements and changes
To protect against CVE-2023-44487, you should install the latest Windows update. Based on your use case, you can also set the limit of the RST_STREAMS per minute using the new registry keys in this update.
Registry key Default value Valid value range Registry key function Http2MaxClientResetsPerMinute 400 0–65535 Sets the allowed number of resets (RST_STREAMS) per minute for a connection. When you reach this limit, a GOAWAY message is sent to client for the connection. Http2MaxClientResetsGoaway 1 0-1 Disables or enables the GOAWAY message to send when you reach the limit. If you set this to 0, the connection ends as soon as you reach the limit.
There is no known issue found in this patch until now.
Before installing KB5031356
Currently, Microsoft the latest SSU is integrated with the LCU for your operating system. But prior to receiving this update make sure that your system has the following Servicing Stack update:
For offline OS image servicing:
How to download KB5031356 for Windows 10 22H2 and install
First, ensure that the latest security update package is already installed on the device then move forward with either of the methods:
1] Through automatic mode
- Click Start and select Settings.
- Go to Update & security and select it.
- Navigate to right panel of the next page and click on Check for updates.
- After the downloading of the patch is completed, click on Restart now.
2] Via Manual mode
- Go to the KB5031356 Download link.
- You will reach the concerned page of Microsoft Update Catalog website. Here, locate the file compatible with the system in which you are going install.
- Click on the Download button assigned for the package.
- Once a separate page pops up, click on the link to standalone package.
- Come back to the folder where you saved the update .msu and right click on the file.
- Select Install or Open whichever is showing.
- Click Yes on the confirmation dialog.
- The system will reboot a couple of times and install the patch.