Windows 10 Insider Build 18309 (19H1) is the update that Microsoft has rolled out for the fast ring level systems. Improvements in Hello PIN Reset, Password less account, Narrator, and Ease of access are the limelight of this push. Moreover, a big number of fixes will provide you with a better experience of the OS.
You will receive Windows 10 Insider Build 18309 (19H1) automatically if you have not paused or disabled. If you haven’t got till now then go to Settings => Update & Security and click on Check for updates right now.
Windows 10 Insider Build 18309 (19H1) Changes and Fixes Details
Windows Hello PIN reset is now available on all editions
The current build brings Windows Hello PIN reset experience. This will have the exact same look and feel as signing in on the web. You can check it by clicking ‘I forgot my PIN’ link when signing in with a PIN.
Windows 10 Insider Build 18305 (19H1) added this feature to only Home edition; now it is available for all.
Sign in to Windows with password-less Microsoft accounts on all editions
This feature also took s place in the previous insider build. Microsoft is removing passwords and improving the safety of your accounts with the help of a phone number account. This feature will again available on every edition.
Create a password-less phone number account on the insider build
Windows 10 insider build 18309 allows creating password-less phone number account using a mobile app such as Excel on your iOS or Android device.
Add password-less phone number account to Windows 10 insider
After creating a phone number account on build 18309, you can login by underneath method –
- Navigate to Settings => Accounts => Family & other Users => “Add someone else to this PC”.
- Go to Lock screen (Win+L) and select the phone number account from the sign-in screen.
- Since your account doesn’t contain a password, hence, choose – Sign in options on the appearing screen. Click the substitute PIN tile, and click ‘Sign in’.
- Finally, perform web sign in and Windows Hello set up.
Windows 10 Insider Build 18309 (19H1) Narrator Improvements
- Add more voices – From this build, Users have the ability to download more voices and they don’t require to install language packs for this. In this regard, access Narrator Settings and choose – Add more voices link.
- Narrator Home navigation – This will in button form instead of Listview. You can switch to tabs between all of them.
- Read Current character phonetics – The present build includes Narrator + 5 twice commands in order to render character phonetics.
- Other improvements:
1) Enhancement in reading of controls while navigating and editing.
2) Table reading in PowerPoint is now better.
3) Chrome and Narrator combination provides a better reading and navigating experience
4) Chrome menu’s interaction is smoother with the Narrator
Ease of Access Improvements
- Cursor and Pointers – With the effect of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18298, there were 11 extra mouse pointer sizes; now extended to 15.
Windows 10 Insider Build 18309 (19H1) changes, improvements, and fixes
- When you used Hyper-V along with an external vSwitch other than default several UWP apps failed to connect to the internet. Windows insider team fixed this issue.
- The current build resolved green screens (GSOD) with win32kfull.sys.found in 2 situations. One when using an Xbox controller with your PC, and other when interacting with Visual Studio.
- They solved changes to Mouse Keys settings in Settings wouldn’t continue.
- Windows 10 insider build 18309 comes with small modifications to the text across different pages in Settings.
- Windows 10 insider team solved XAML context menus across the system sporadically not invoking problem.
- They resolved explorer.exe crashing issue when right-clicking a network printer.
- If Dictation doesn’t start on Win+H due to an unsupported language you will you will get a notification telling that this is why dictation isn’t starting.
- The banner will let you know that this hotkey triggers an input language change, and has a direct link to the settings where you can disable if pressing it was unintentional. When you Alt + Shift it no longer impacts the WIN + Space work
- Windows 10 team solved cmimanageworker.exe process that might hang, slow down the system or take higher than normal CPU usage.
- Cortana voice-over will be turned off on the systems which have clean install Professional, Enterprise, or Education versions. However, Screen readers can still start Narrator at any time by using WIN + Ctrl + Enter.
- When Scan Mode is enabled and the Narrator is over a slider, the left and right arrows will decrease and increase it. Up and down arrows will work for the navigation to the previous or next paragraph or item. Home and End keys will move the slider to the beginning or the last.
- Windows insider build 1809 19H1 resolved Narrator problem that could not be disabled specifically when you notice a message box saying – Another Ease of Access application is preventing “Narrator” from supporting touch.
- Windows insider team settled Narrator didn’t read process or applications from the Task Manager issue when you selected the More details view.
- From this build, the Narrator will read the state of hardware buttons, for example, volume keys.
- Windows 10 insider team solved issues mouse pointer sizes not either increasing or decreasing problem when DPI is different from 100%.
- They rectified Magnifier failed to follow Narrator cursor problem. The issue occurs during Magnifier centered mouse mode when you have enabled – follow Narrator cursor.
- Some users encounter Windows Sandbox fails to open on Build 18305 having KB4483214. Windows 10 Insider build 18309 will fix the Windows Defender Application Guard issue.
- The current build improves Windows Sandbox to support high DPI displays.
- A few users were reporting random yet frequent explorer.exe crashes with 19H1 Build 18305. Microsoft brings a server-side change to resolve this issue over the break.
Windows 10 Insider Build 18309 (19H1) Known issues
- The hyperlink colors in Dark Mode on Sticky Notes is not proper particularly when the Insights are enabled.
- Virus & threat protection area may display unknown status, or not refresh correctly. This issue may occur after upgrade, restart, or settings changes.
- When opening games that use BattlEye anti-cheat will trigger a bugcheck (GSOD). – we’re investigating.
- Devices and Printers will show USB printers twice. Resolution of the problem is Re-installation of the printer.
- Cortana Permission does not prompt up the UI to sign out.
- The administrative tool Task Scheduler User Interface I may look blank despite there are scheduled tasks. You can see them using only command line currently.
- Creative X-Fi sound cards are not working correctly. They are partnering with Creative to resolve this issue.
- The known issue is that some S Mode devices fail to update when receiving this build.
- The present Windows 10 insider has a bug that impacts Night light functionality. The team is working on a workaround, and it will be included in an upcoming build.
- You may notice When you open Action Center the quick actions section may be missing.
- The network button on the sign-in screen doesn’t do anything on clicking.
- Windows Security application may have some missing or incorrect text. This mess up may impact the ability to use certain features, for example, filtering Protection history. You may get an error message that your USB is currently in use when trying to eject it. To avoid this warning, terminate all the File Explorer windows and eject using the system tray by clicking on Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media. Then select the drive to eject.
- In some cases, it may appear as though this build downloads and installs successfully but actually didn’t.
Windows 10 Insider Build 18309 (19H1) Known issues for Developers
- If you receive any of the neoterics builds from the Fast ring and then opt to be in Slow ring – optional content, for example, enabling developer mode will not work. You will have to continue in the same ring to enable/add/install/ the content. The reason is optional content only installs on approved builds for a ring.
Source – Windows experience blog.