Distribution of Patch Tuesday, 14/03/2023 updates have been started and in this sequence, Windows 11 version 22H2 has received its quantum. KB5023706 is its knowledge base number that has arrived at this version increasing the build number to 22621.1413. The release brings multiple bug fixes for different vulnerabilities and issues such as Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) and Active Directory. See – Windows 11 Build 22621.1343 KB5022913 update with mass of new features.
Full name of this build is – 2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5023706) where x64 is changeable and it can also be ARM64. Now Let’s check what is new in March 2023 patch –
KB5023706 Windows 11 22H2 changes and bug fixes
Here is the changelog –
Bug fixes and changes
- This update implements phase three of Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) hardening. See KB5004442. After you install this update, you cannot turn off the changes using the registry key.
- This update addresses an issue that affects a computer account and Active Directory. When you reuse an existing computer account to join an Active Directory domain, joining fails. This occurs on devices that have installed Windows updates dated October 11, 2022 or later. The error message is, “Error 0xaac (2732): NERR_AccountReuseBlockedByPolicy: ‘An account with the same name exists in Active Directory. Re-using the account was blocked by security policy.’” For more information, see KB5020276.
|IT admins||The provisioning packages on Windows 11 V22H2 might not function as expected. Windows might only not be completely configured, and the OOBE might not finish or might reboot abruptly.
Remarkable: Provisioning Windows computers equipped with Windows Autopilot is not affected by this issue.
Windows-running computers used in home or small offices are not likely to be affected by this issue.
|To prevent this problem from occurring you need to provision the device before upgrading to Windows 11 22H2.|
|IT admins||You may encounter Slow Performance when Copying Multi GB File in Windows 11 22H2. This problem occurs when copying from a network share through SMB. This also exists on Windows devices used in their small offices or home are not probably affected by this issue.||You can run file copy tools that do not employ cache manager (buffered I/O). This will mitigate the issue. The cmd commands are –
|IT admins||Patch rolled out 14/03/2023 or further might not be offered from some WSUS servers to Windows 11 v22H2. The updates will download to the server but might not propagate ahead to client devices. Impacted WSUS servers are only those using Windows Server v2022 which have been upgraded from v2016 or v2019. This problem is triggered by the accidental deletion of required UUP MIME types during the upgrade to Windows Server v2022 from a previous version. This bug might affect security patches or feature updates for Windows 11 v22H2. This known issue does not affect Microsoft Configuration Manager.||For mitigation, kindly navigate to Add file types for Unified Update Platform on-premises.|
|All users||Post installing this or further patches, computers with some third-party User Interface customization applications might not start up. These apps might trigger errors with explorer.exe that might duplicate several times in a loop. The influenced third-party User Interface customization software are StartAllBack and ExplorerPatcher. These types of applications often use unsupported ways to achieve their customization and consequently can have unintended results.||The solution is removing any third-party User Interface customization software before installing this or later updates to prevent this issue. Contact customer support for the developer of the app to deal with this issue. Updating to StartAllBack v3.5.6 or later may fix the concerned problem.|
How to download KB5023706 on Windows 11 and install
Before starting to install KB 5023706, make sure to have the most recent edition of Windows 11 servicing stack update version 22621.1344. Then, move forward with the methods –
1] Through Windows auto update
- Press the – Windows key.
- Type – updates.
- Hit Enter, allow the Windows Update Settings page to appear, and go to the right panel.
- Click on – Check for updates.
- Stay some minutes until the security update is completely downloaded and after the process is finished, select – Restart now.
2] Using Standalone package
- Navigate to KB5023706 direct download link.
- Microsoft update catalog website will showcase the Standalone packages of the patch such as Cumulative updates and Dynamic updates. You have to choose Cumulative update because Dynamic updates are for Windows Server. Select the one corresponding to the processor (x64 or ARM64) of your system and click on the Download button for that.
- Then click a link on the prompted page.
- Come back to your desktop and go to the Downloads folder where you can see –
- Double click on the one .MSU file you have downloaded and confirm the prompt by clicking on Yes.
- Your computer restart twice or thrice and the update will be installed.