In the succession of the July 2023 Patch Tuesday release, .Net Framework has also made its recognition. This app development platform has received releases for 3.5 and 4.8.1 versions. The cumulative update is KB5028851 for Windows 11 21H2 which has no additional security improvement. This patch, as usual, brings reliability improvements to the development application.
Full name of this release is 2023-07 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5028851) where x64 can also be ARM64. See: Windows 11 KB5027119 .Net Framework 4.8.1 and 3.5 for 22H2. Let’s look at what is new in this release:
KB5028851 .Net Framework 4.8.1 and 3.5 Windows 11 22H2
Here is the changelog:
Quality and Reliability Improvements
This update addresses a change that affects how you use the X509Certificate, X509Certificate2, or X509Certificate2Collection classes. When you use them to import a PKCS#12 blob that contains a private key, the calling application might get an exception. The exception message is, “System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: PKCS12 (PFX) without a supplied password has exceeded maximum allowed iterations. See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2233907 for more information.” To learn more, seeKB5028608.
There is currently no known issue in this security update.
How to download KB5028851 and install
There are 2 methods for installing KB 5028851 on Windows 11 22H2:
1] Using auto Windows update
- Click on Windows Search from taskbar and type updates.
- Press Enter and allow the Settings app page to load.
- Once there, click on Check for updates.
- After the Cumulative update is downloaded, click on Restart now.
This will install the patch.
2] Through Microsoft Update Catalog
- Go to KB5028851direct download link – http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=5028851
- Discover the file compatible with the processor of your device such as ARM64 or x64.
- Click on Download and then on the link showing on a popup page. This is a link to standalone file.
- Once downloading is completed, double-click on the file from your computer having extension .msu such as:
The system will reboot a couple of times and the update will be installed.
Source: Release note.