A few Windows 10 users meet with Destination path too long error during the phase of moving, abolishing or copying items from a source location to a separate location or drive. Windows OS determines a limit to the number of characters applicable in the path of a file which is 255 in normal circumstances.
When you make an effort to copy a file from the location, the destination path calculated is the sum of characters existing in the source path and File name. And as this number surpasses 255 you confront with Destination path too long hindrance. We are here in this write-up to cover the steps for how to Fix Destination Path Too Long error in Windows 10.
Destination Path Too Long error in Windows 10
The question of validity of destination path arises when either a file is settled in the inner core of a drive or the name of the file is lengthy too much. To take a precautionary measure while writing the name of a file is essential to have a short relevant name and avoid such type of errors.
- Inspect the folder path and shorten the folder names which will reduce the path name.
- Another interesting point that most of us miss out is when we save an item is its real path which is, of course, a long one. So, when the path becomes longer than assumed to be, the suggested way is to substitute the file path with any drive letter of your choice with the aid of Command Prompt.
- Therefore, using Win+X keys bring the bar and proceed ahead by electing Command Prompt.
- When it is opened, go ahead with this command –
subst V: “C:\Users\sauja\Desktop\AnExampleOfLongAndUniqueNameForTheFileWhichIsLocatedOnDesktopForCopyingToAnotherSecuredPlace"
subst serves substitute command
Z represents drive letter of your preference
C:\Users\sauja\Desktop\AnExampleOfLongAndUniqueNameForTheFileWhichIsLocatedOnDesktopForCopyingToAnotherSecuredPlace represents the file path that needs to shorten in order to copy the data from the folder.
- After the command is carried out, navigate to This PC and look for a temporary drive letter like Z in the above instance. Enter the drive to copy its data.
Note: In order to clear away that provisionally set up drive letter from This PC, employ the command subst Z: /d in Command Prompt and soon that drive will be wiped off.
Indications of Path Length Causing Error Notes
- The first reason is definitely the similar types of error notes that are mentioned above.
- Other times you will be greeted with a text Cannot Copy.
- In some instances, the files will not operate accurately and will not show up any error notes and instead will open and shut in a flash.
- Moreover, the context menu options get limited in such files.
Hence, whenever you see the error note Destination Path Too Long blocking the process of copying, moving or removing files, either cut down the folder’s name if it is stored deeply or assign a drive letter to the entire path to avoid the question the validity of the path.
Excellent explanation. Long path tool is also helpful
I sincerely thank the admin and specially the people, who told me to try GS Richcopy 360. I went on and tried it, worked really well for me. Thanks again.
Shortening the name is just one simple thing you can do in this case but if you really want to get rid of this issue totally, you should try GS Richcopy 360. It has helped me a lot in file transfer, backup and FTP too. Hope it helps!
This article was helpful though but I still prefer to use a software instead of too much fuzz. A recommendation from my side would be to use GS RichCopy 360. This software is really a charm it provides long path name support, NTFS support, emails you when the task is completed and many more. Try it, hope it helps!
Changing the file path is a highly unacceptable solution. I work with code bases, and changing file paths would significantly impact the ability to compile my code bases.
If there is not a ‘bug fix” from microsoft, then my only option is to start running Linux to do all my software development.
To get out of this mess you must try “Long Path Tool” I have tried and it was a magic for me.
You can try to using ”long path tool” for google searching. Already i have solved my problem too.
Long Path Tool is a best software to solve this issue. 5++ Rating. Long Path Tool is a best software
it is a free software. You can Try it
I was just searching to solve this issue Where i found Long Path tool during my search which is very easy to use and make the path shorter within no time.