You might have seen What failed: portcls.sys with System_Service_Exception or Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area screen stop error. When this BSOD occurs, the computer freezes and after a while restarts without giving any warning to you. Further, this reboot might be repeated time and again with system crashes making the PC unusable for you finally.
Commonly, portcls.sys BSOD appears because of a certain bug in a third party audio driver. You may check the dump using bluescreenview to confirm this reason. Additionally, the error may also show up when system files are corrupted, low-level software running in windows kernel, and malware.
portcls.sys Blue Screen Error on Windows 10
Here is how to Fix portcls.sys BSOD or Blue Screen Error in Windows 10 –
1] Uninstall Virtual audio cable
As audio driver is the main culprit for this stop error so the primary work you need to focus on is to uninstall the associated software. If you have recently installed Virtual Audio Cable or another app to manages audio recently then remove it.
- Press – Win+S.
- Type – apps and features.
- Hit – Enter.
- Find the Virtual audio cable (VAC) software in the list on the Settings page and click on it.
- Select – Uninstall.
- Follow the guide coming on the screen up to the end until the software is removed completely.
- Reboot your computer and check if portcls.sys Blue Screen Error is fixed.
2] Uninstall VAC driver to fix portcls.sys BSOD error
Sometimes buggy driver updates for the audio app might also give rise to portcls.sys with System Service Exception or Page Fault in Nonpaged Area blue screen. But you can easily uninstall the driver from the device manager and this will be a perfect solution or workaround for this BSOD.
- Right-click on the – Start.
- Choose the – Device Manager.
- Double click on the- Audio inputs and outputs.
- Right click the – VAC or Virtual audio cable whichever is showing.
- Next, click the – Uninstall device.
- Select “Uninstall” once more.
- Now go to the Manufacturer’s website of the adapter and find the latest driver software.
- Download and install the driver and check if the BSOD portcls.sys still persists.
3] Remove all third-party software
As you have uninstalled the audio application in the 1st method, locate if any other software exists on your computer. If found remove them one by one to avoid certain conflicts between windows files and the third party app.
- Press the – Win+S.
- Type – appwiz.cpl.
- On the next window, find third party software and right-click the same.
- Click the – Uninstall and follow the directions coming out on the screen.
- Reboot the system.
- Repeat the same procedure if another software is here.
4] Perform a Full Windows Defender Scan
Malware could also create a mess up resulting in the Blue Screen error after arriving on Windows 10 and screwing up the things. When the threat or infection penetrates the security system it can corrupt the whole files and cause System Service Exception to occur.
- Hold down – Windows logo key.
- Type – security.
- Select – Virus & threat protection.
- Click the link saying – Scan options.
- Choose – Full scan.
- Hit – Scan now.
Scanning will take a long, therefore wait patiently and restart the system after finishing.
5] Run System File Checker to solve portcls.sys BSOD error
In case, portcls.sys BSOD or Blue Screen Error occurs after corruption in the system files then this way will work wonder. System File Checker is a built-in tool that replaces the broken elements with the original taking from the cache directory. Thus the BSOD gets solved after running this via command prompt –
- Click the Start and type – cmd.
- Select – Run as administrator.
- Choose – Yes on the User account control dialog.
- Type in – SFC /Scannow.
- Hit the – Enter.
- Finally, reboot the PC and hopefully the portcls.sys BSOD would be solved.