Insiders are getting an update today having one important change and some fixes. This is Windows 10 Build 20246, the first build in FE_RELEASE branch. Microsoft has changed the branch name from rs_prerelease to FE_RELEASE.
After switching to this branch, you will notice that the redesigned touch keyboard, emoji picker, voice typing, theme-aware splash screens, and others have been removed temporarily. In future, these will be re-added. Remember that the builds from the FE_RELEASE branch are not matched to a specific Windows 10 release.
Windows 10 Build 20246 Dev Channel
Here is the changelog –
- The current build added automatic Linux distro installation to the exe –installcommand! This indicates that users who expect to install the WSL quickly can just type in “wsl.exe –install” into the command line. After then a fully set up WSL instance will be ready, including their Linux distro of choice.
Windows 10 Build 20246 Fixes
- The experts of insider fixed hovering over a thumbnail in Task View would display an unexpected border around the item.
- They fixed chkdsk that could appear to be stuck at 100% because of not printing the message saying it was done.
- Also, they fixed a crash that occurs when disconnecting certain audio devices while playing audio in recent builds.
- Windows Update page in Settings could fail to load after connected to a WiFi network without having internet access. The build has fixed the issue.
- In Windows 10 Build 20246, They fixed the Settings app that was crashing sometimes when clicking the Update and Security category.
- Furthermore, they fixed Storage Settings that unexpectedly displaying incorrect category sizes (a higher number than what was appearing in File Explorer).
- They fixed managing partition size in Storage Settings that could lead to a crash.
- Finally, they fixed GPU compute stopped scenarios such as CUDA and DirectML not working that occurs for some users inside of WSL.
- The Windows Insider team is investigating the reports of the update process hanging for longer. This occurs when trying to install a new build.
- Until now they haven’t enabled Live previews for pinned sites for all insiders. As a result, so you may notice a grey window when hovering over the thumbnail on the taskbar. But don’t worry they are continuously working on polishing this experience.
- Additionally, they are trying to enable the new taskbar experience for existing pinned sites. As of now, you are able to unpin any website from the taskbar by removing it from the edge://apps page, and then re-pinning the site.
- Microsoft expert’s team is working to fix KMODE EXCEPTION bugcheck when using certain virtualization technologies.
- They are also trying to fix DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION bugcheck that occurs after receiving the build 20236.
- In Windows 10 Build 20246, they are studying reports about DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bugcheck on tcpip.sys.
- Some devices are no longer able to connect to network after installing build 20236. The issue occurs to the devices running Malwarebytes Web Protection. You can downgrade to the previous build 20231 and pause updates or disable Web Protection as a workaround.
- According to some reports, taskbar is obscuring the Power button in the Start menu. If the same occurs on your PC, you may need to use the Win+X menu to shut down for the time being. Microsoft is looking into this issue.
- They are also analyzing GPU Compute scenarios, for example, using DirectML and CUDA, not working inside of WSL.
- ARM PCs such as the Surface Pro X encounter an issue about Windows PowerShell that will fail to launch on this build. As a workaround, use Windows PowerShell (x86) or Windows PowerShell ISE (x86) from the Start menu as an alternative. You can also download the new and modern PowerShell 7 which takes advantage of ARM by running natively. Moreover, the icon is prettier.
Source – Windows Experience blog.