A cumulative patch is out for Windows 10 20H2 and 2004 to fix in-place upgrade. This is an optional update taking the version to 19042.661 and 19041.661 respectively.
The patch is not issued officially yet so the release note is not available. Once it is issued you can use Windows update to install. See – Windows 10 Cumulative Updates List.
KB4586853 Windows 10 2004 19041.661 and 20H2 19042.661
- After installing KB4586853, the in-place upgrade repair under Windows 10 version 20H2 will be working again. Therefore, you can use a current ISO 19042.630 for an in-place.
- The issue with the dark properties window has now also been fixed.
- There must be other changes and improvements.
Download cab file –
Hello Windows Insiders, today we’re releasing 20H2 Build 19042.662 (KB4586853) to the Beta and Release Preview Channels for those Insiders who are on 20H2 (Windows 10 October 2020 Update).
This update includes the following fixes and improvements:
- This new build has updated About dialog of Internet Explorer to use the standard modern dialog.
- In Windows 10 2004 and 20H2, with the effect of this release Narrator to stop responding problem that occurs after you unlock a device if the Narrator was in use before you locked the device is fixed.
- The current build fixed local account groups in the localized language did not appear even after you deploy the language pack.
- KB4586853 fixed certain Microsoft Xbox consoles that could not be found on a Windows device.
- The update fixed black screen to Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) problem that was appearing when you attempt to sign in.
- Windows 10 20H2 19042.662 fixed certain COM API that causes memory leak.
- Furthermore, it fixed Microsoft Xbox Game Bar app controls don’t show on supported monitors. This problem arises in certain Microsoft DirectX® 9.0 (DX9) games that are configured to run with Variable Refresh Rate enabled on these monitors.
- The build fixed touch keyboard cannot open in UWP apps when USB devices are connected.
- The Microsoft experts fixed an issue with USB 3.0 hubs. A system connected to the hub might stop working when you configure the device to restart or hibernate.
- They fixed the touch keyboard that gets cropped when using a Remote Desktop Connection on a device that has a different screen resolution.
- They fixed excessive network traffic that occurs when using the Open File dialog box in File Explorer afterwards browse to a shared folder that has the Previous Version feature available.
- KB4586853 fixed ImmGetCompositionString()function that returns the full-width Hiragana when using the IME for Japanese instead of returning the half-width Katakana.
- Further, the build fixed Jump list items that can not function. The problem occurs when you create them using WinRT UI.StartScreenAPI for desktop apps that are packaged in the MSIX format.
- They fixed the applications that can not receive the Ctrl and Shift keystroke events when the Bopomofo, Changjie, or Quick IME are in use.
- Also the latest update fixed input focus of edit controls that randomly changes when using the Chinese Traditional or Japanese IME.
- Windows 10 2004 19042.662 fixed signing in on certain servers fail problem. This malfunction occurs when you enable a Group Policy that forces the start of a computer session to be interactive.
- The build fixed setting the desktop wallpaper does not work when you configure the local background as a solid color in GPO.
- The Microsoft experts fixed Microsoft Pinyin IME that unexpectedly dismisses the candidate pane when typing certain phrases.
- Also, they fixed the Shift keyup event to could not be sent to an application when using the Japanese IME.
- They fixed Kaomoji that is incorrectly rendered on the emoji panel.
- They fixed touch keyboard instability in the Mail app.
- KB4586853 fixed enters unexpected characters, for example, as half-width Hiragana, when you type a password while the IME is in Kana input mode.
- They fixed certain MIDI devices that connect using Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) might fail to pair.
- Windows 10 20H2 19042.662 fixed a runtime error. Visual Basic 6.0 is unable to work when duplicate windows messages are sent to WindowProc() due to this problem.
- The current build fixed an issue that causes a 0x57 error when the wecutil ss /c:command is used to update an Event Forwarding subscription.
- The new release fixed calling LookupAccountSid() that causes applications to fail. The problem happens after migrating accounts to a new domain whose name is shorter than the name of the previous domain.
- KB4586853 fixed PowerShell leaking a large amount of memory due to loading Code Integrity Policy.
- The package fixed the system to stop working during startup. The problem takes place when the CrashOnAuditFail policy is configured to 1 and command-line argument auditing is turned on.
- The patch fixed MMC Group Policy that stops working when editing the Group Policy Security settings. The error reads – MMC cannot initialize the snap-in.
- LCU fixed a non-paged pool of a system that can not be freed and requires a restart of the system. This arises when running 32-bit applications with the FIPS mode enabled.
- The build fixed E_UNEXPECTED error that appears when installing the update.
- The latest build fixed I forgot my Pin functionality that fails to work on the lock screen. This occurs in the condition when the user has signed in using a username and password and the DontDisplayLastUserName or HideFastUserSwitching policy settings are enabled.
- Windows 10 20H2 19042.662 Azure Active Directory (AD) that can not accessed in Chrome because of a Conditional Access policy error.
- The current build improved Mixed Reality headset’s visual quality in lower resolution mode.
- The LCU release extended Microsoft Defender for Endpoint support to new regions.
- The experts in Microsoft enabled a new Hardware-enforced Stack Protection feature called shadow stacks on supported hardware. This package lets applications to opt in to user-mode shadow stack protection, which supports harden backward-edge control-flow integrity and stops return-oriented programming-based attacks.
- They fixed RPC runtime that leads the DFSR service to stop responding. This problem renders log events for no reconnection (5004), RPC (1726), and DFS Replication (5014) for a default timeout of 24 hours with no replication.
- They added the OSK to the allowed apps list, and it now functions in multi-app assigned access mode.
- The latest build fixed PDF24 app, version 9.1.1, that couldn’t open .txt files.
- Microsoft developers fixed non-paged pool memory leak that occurs in some scenarios.
- They fixed an app that has been blocked from hydrating files to continue hydrating files in has been allowed in some cases.
- Furthermore, they fixed memory leak in sys that occurs when copying files in a container scenario.
- This new build fixed Active Directory Certificate Services that fail to submit Certificate Transparency logs when they are enabled.
- KB4586853 fixed cluster validation that tests internal switches that are not for cluster use and re-communication.
- Also, the LCU fixed stop error 0x27 that appears when you attempt to sign in. The issue occurs with a device that is not in a domain using credentials rather for a device that is in the domain.
- The build fixed the device that continually restarts after installing an app.
- Finally, Microsoft experts fixed Kerberos authentication in Windows 10 November 2020 update version which is related to the PerformTicketSignature registry subkey value in CVE-2020-17049. The following problems might arise on writable and read-only domain controllers (DC) –
- Kerberos service tickets and ticket-granting tickets (TGT) might not renew for non-Windows Kerberos clients when PerformTicketSignature is set to 1 (the default).
- Service for User (S4U) scenarios, such as scheduled tasks, clustering, and services for line-of-business applications, might fail for all clients when PerformTicketSignature is set to 0.
- S4UProxy delegation fails during ticket referral in cross-domain scenarios if DCs in intermediate domains are inconsistently updated and PerformTicketSignature is set to 1.
Source – Insider blog.