Windows 10 1909 has got the first LCU on Patch Tuesday after the festive leave. This is KB4598229 that includes multiple bug fixes and improvements. The update increases the build number to ——-.
KB4598229 is downloadable straight through built-in Windows update. Furthermore, you are able to download the patch as .MSU extension from Microsoft update catalog site and install it manually.
KB4598229 for Windows 10 1909
Here is the changelog –
Improvements and Fixes
- Security patch addresses a vulnerability problem with HTTPS-based intranet servers. Subsequent to installing, HTTPS-based intranet servers are unable to use a user proxy by default detect updates. Scans using these servers will be unsuccessful if you have not configured a system proxy on the clients. In case, you must use a user proxy, you must configure the behavior using the policy – Allow user proxy to be used as a fallback if detection using system proxy fails. If you want to ensure the highest levels of security, you can also use WSUS TLS certificate pinning on all devices. This modification does not affect customers who are using the HTTP WSUS servers. For more details, see Changes to scans, improved security for Windows devices.
- LCU addresses a security bypass vulnerability that lives in the way the Printer RPC binding handles authentication for the remote Winspool interface. To know more, see KB4599464.
- Patch addresses an issue after running chkdsk /f that might damage the file system of some devices and prevent them from starting up.
- LCU for Jan 2021 carries security updates for Windows Media, Windows Kernel, Windows Cryptography, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Virtualization, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Peripherals, Windows Fundamentals, and Windows Hybrid Storage Services.
|The user certificates and System might be missing when updating a device from Windows 10 v1809 or later to a greater version of Windows 10. PC will only be impacted if they have already installed any LCU issued on Sept 16, 2020 or later and then proceed to update to a greater version of Windows 10 from media or an installation source that doesn’t bring an LCU released October 13, 2020 or later integrated. This primarily occurs when managed devices are updated using stale bundles or media through an update management tool such as Windows WSUS or Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. This might also occur when using old physical media or ISO images that do not have the latest updates integrated.
Important – PC that uses Windows Update for Business or that connect straight to Windows Update are not impacted. Device connecting to Windows Update should always obtain the most recent versions of the feature update, including the LCU, without any additional steps.
|In the condition, you have already confronted this issue on your device, you can fix it from the uninstall window by returning back to your previous version using the instructions here. The uninstall window might be 10 or 30 days based on the settings of your environment and the edition you’re updating to. You will then need to update to the greater version after the issue is settled in your environment. Important – From the uninstall window, you can change the number of days you have to return to your earlier version using the DISM command /Set-OSUninstallWindow. You must increase it before the default uninstall window has lapsed. To know more read – DISM operating system uninstall command-line options.
They are working on a resolution and will push updated bundles and refreshed media in the forthcoming weeks.
How to download KB4598229 and install on Windows 1909
Before starting, ensure that the latest SSU KB is installed and then follow any of the methods –
1] Via Windows update
- Click the – Start.
- Type in –
- Press –
- From the next page, select – Check for updates.
- Once the patch is completely downloaded click on the –
- Finally, select the – Restart now.
2] Using Microsoft update Catalog
- KB4598229 direct download link – Microsoft update catalog.
- Go to the link and locate the file meeting with the system architecture (x86, x64, ARM) of yours.
- Select – Download.
- Once the process gets over, double click the MSU file.
- Follow the on-screen guidelines and install the update.