KB5006667 Windows 10 1909 update just came out as part of the Patch Tuesday lot. This would change the build to 18363.1854. As usual, this patch too carries certain bug fixes that should resolve some of the previously identified issues on Windows 10 1909. In this article, we’ll be listing the major highlights of this update. As of now, there are no known bugs or issues with this update
Quick reminder for all the users who are on Windows 10 version 1909- Starting this month, there would no longer be any optional, non-security releases (or the “C” releases) for Windows 10 v 1909. Since the version has reached the end of service, only the patch Tuesday updates or cumulative monthly security updates or the “B” releases will be available for Windows 10, version 1909.
KB5006667 for Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.1854
Here is changelog –
Changes and bug fixes
The quality improvements and key changes rolled out in this patch include:
- KB5006667 attempts to fix a problem that used to prevent some applications like Adobe Reader and Microsoft Office, from launching normally or would otherwise cause those programs to crash. The issue was found to occurring with devices subject to Microsoft Exploit Protection for Export Address Filtering (EAF).
As mentioned, there are no known issues with this update.
How to install with KB5006667 for Windows 10 1909 update
These patches will usually be downloaded and installed automatically as per the configured policies unless you have somehow disabled automatic updates. Here are a few other ways of installing this (or any such) patch.
1. Via Update Settings
To check for updates and download them manually, follow the below steps –
- Press the shortcut keys Windows and I together.
- When you have the Settings app opened, hit Windows update.
- Finally, click on – Check for updates.
- This will start an automatic scan to look for the October Security patch. It would start downloading and installing automatically as well. Once the scan is done, you will get an alert prompting restart.
- Click – Restart now.
Go through – 4 Ways to Update Windows 10
2. Through Microsoft update catalog
- KB5006667 Direct download link is here. When you click on the link, it will take you to the Microsoft update catalog website that has all the relevant files for this cumulative update.
- You can either browse through to find your patch based on the system architecture of your system such as x86, x64, ARM64). Or you can simply use the search feature on the web page to look for this update
- Once you find your patch, hit the Download.
- After downloading go to the location where you downloaded the .MSU file.
- Right-click on the file and choose Install;
- On the confirmation prompt that might come up, click Yes.
- Finally follow the remaining on-screen instructions.
Windows 10 servicing stack update – 18363.1850
In addition to the cumulative updates, there are improvements to the servicing stack a component that installs Windows updates. Servicing stack updates (SSU) is for the devices to receive and install Microsoft updates reliably and smoothly. You might want to note that users are advised to install the relevant SSU (KB5004748))in this case) before installing the LCU. This is to improve the reliability of the update process and to mitigate potential issues while installing the patch.