Incorporated with several features bug fixes, changes, and improvements Media Player Classic – Home Cinema version 2.1.0 is available. The new edition has updated all third-party libraries including MPC Audio Renderer, MediaInfo DLL to “23.10”, and LAV Filters to “0.78”. Additionaly, you can play HDR video, experience Dark interface, Adjust playback speed, A-B repeat, and a lot more on MPC-HC 2.1.0.
The latest version of Media Player Classic – Home Cinema version added subtitle search provider, and libass for rendering. Let’s see what are new in this version:
Media Player Classic – Home Cinema or MPC-HC 2.1.0 features, changes, improvements, bug fixes and updates
Here is the changelog:
- Changes the version from 2.0.0 to 2.1.0.
- Updated LAV Filters to version 0.78.
- MPC-HC 2.1.0 updated MediaInfo DLL to version 23.10.
- Also, Updated MPC Audio Renderer.
- The new version updated all other third-party libraries.
Improvements, Changes, and additions
- Added OpenSubtitles.com subtitle search provider. The current OpenSubtitles.org provider is prepared to stop working at the end of 2023. Important: you need a new login for OpenSubtitles.com.
- Video preview can now also be positioned below the seekbar. Go to : Options > Tweaks.
- The internal subtitle renderer now onwards has a choice to use libass for rendering.
- Some improvements are associated with the advanced option for a separate fullscreen.
- MPC-HC 2.1.0 added right-click actions to some of the toolbar buttons such as Mute = Toggle Next Audio Track, Skip Forward = Next File,, Play = Open File, Skip Back = Previous File, Frame Step = Frame Step Backwards (seek), Stop = Close File.
- This version supports the scanning of ATSC channels.
- The playlist is now onwards docked to the right side by default. You can drag it to the top/left/bottom if you like those locations or even to outside player window.
- LoadSubtitle, ToggleSubtitle, and Drag&drop now also work with DirectVobSub and XySubFilter.
- Furthermore, HEVC hardware decoding is now disabled by default (on fresh install or settings reset) for Intel Broadwell and Haswell GPUs. These earlier GPUs have slow partially accelerated decoding and software decoding may be picked for stability. You can obviously still enable it if wished.
- MPC-HC 2.1.0 fixed a few DPI scaling fixes for issues that occurred when moving between two screens with different DPI.
- Fixed a problem with DVB subtitles not working during live playback.
- Fixed an issue that occurred when changing subtitle default style through the styles dialog.
- MPC-HC 2.1.0 (Media Player Classic – Home Cinema) version 2.1.0 fixed Pan&Scan movement being incorrect for rotated video with MadVR.
- Multiple other small fixes.
MPC-HC 2.1.0 Features
Many individuals appear to be unaware of the fantastic additions that have been integrated into MPC-HC over the recent years. Below, you’ll find a compilation of valuable functionalities and options that everyone should be acquainted with:
- You can play HDR video however this requires using either madVR or MPC Video Renderer (MPCVR). After installation, these HDR-capable renderers can be selected at Options => Playback => Output. With other video renderers, the colors will be incorrect! The developer recommends installing K-Lite Codec Pack. That incorporates MPC-HC app and the renderers all in one package. MPCVR is also available as a separate download provided in the bottom part. MPCVR also supports Dolby Vision but MadVR does not.
- The Dark interface can be enabled from Menu > View > Dark Theme. When using dark interface it is also possible to change the height of the seekbar and the size of the toolbar buttons from Options => Advanced.
- Video preview on the seek bar can be enabled from Options => Tweaks => Show preview on seek bar.
- Adjust playback speed through Menu => Play => Playback rate. The buttons in the player that manages the playback rate take a 2x step by default. This can be customized to smaller values (such as 10%): Options => Playback => Speed step. Changing the playback speed works best with the internal audio renderer. This also has automatic pitch correction from Options => Playback => Output => Audio Renderer.
- MPC-HC 2.1.0 can remember the playback position, so you can resume from that point later via Options => Player => History.
- You can quickly seek through a video with Ctrl + Mouse Scrollwheel.
- You can jump to next/previous file in a folder by pushing PageUp/PageDown.
- You can perform automatic actions at the end of file, for example to go to the next file or close the player through Options => Playback => After Playback (permanent setting) is at Menu > Play > After Playback (for current file only)
- A-B repeat: You can loop a segment of a video. Press [ and ] to set start and stop markers.
- You can rotate/flip/mirror/stretch/zoom the video via Menu => View => Pan&Scan. This is also easily done with hotkeys (see below).
- There are several keyboard hotkeys and mouse actions to handle the player. They can be customized as well from Options => Player => Keys. Important: there is a search box above the table.
- You can stream videos straight from YouTube and multiple other video websites. Place yt-dlp.exe in the MPC-HC installation folder. Then you can launch website URLs in the player through Menu => File => Open File/URL. You can even download those videos via Menu => File => Save a copy. It is important to be able to download in the best quality with yt-dlp, it is recommended to also position ffmpeg.exe in the MPC-HC folder. Several YDL configuration options are found at the location Options => Advanced. This includes an option to specify the location of yt-dlp.exe in case you don’t want to place it in MPC-HC folder.
- You now have the ability to search for and download subtitles, either automatically or manually (press D) through Options => Subtitles => Misc.
- Furthermore, with all these (new) features, there have also been many bug fixes and internal improvements in the player in the past years that give better performance and stability. It also has updated internal codecs. Support was added for CUE sheets, WebVTT subtitles, etc.
Source: Release note.