Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 Build 18956 for the Fast ring level insiders just now with some features. The update includes redesigned Network Status page within Settings, Traditional Chinese IME Improvements, and multiple Fixes.
You will get Windows 10 Build 18956 [20H1] automatically unless you haven’t pause or disable the Windows update. If you haven’t installed till now rush to Settings => Update & Security and click on “Check for updates”.
Windows 10 Build 18956 [20H1] Features, Improvements, and Fixes
A redesigned Network Status page in Settings
The build has introduced redesigned Network & Internet landing page in Settings. New sections here will provide more information about your device’s connectivity. This setting combines multiple pages to show you one clear view of how you are connected to the internet.
- New look of active connections – You will be able to now take a view of all existing connection interfaces on the Status page. This will help you to instantly see what is connected and change properties as needed. In case, you are having manifold connections, only one will be used for internet connectivity at a time. That one is still displayed in the Status diagram at the uppermost part of the page.
- Integrated Data Usage – You have the ability to view and review how much data is being used by a particular network right from the Status page. If you think more consumption, just drill into the Data Usage page to create a limit for that network. Now you will be warned when getting close or go over the limit. Furthermore, you can also see how much data each app is eating on that network.
Traditional Chinese IME Improvements
This update brings fixes based on insiders’ feedback on Traditional Chinese IME introduced in the previous Windows 10 build 18875. These bug fixes and improvements are as follow –
- Bopomofo, ChangJie, and Quick IMEs – They fasten toggling between modes.
- Bopomofo IME – You can now disable keyboard shortcut Shift + Space keyboard. Many insiders gave feedback that the shortcut changed unexpectedly between Half-width and Full-width. To access this setting, navigate to Settings => General => Use Shift + Space to switch character width.
- The build has added the ability to change the candidate font size, regardless of the rest of the system. This will be useful when you find that you need it to be a bit bigger. However, you can still change the system font size under Ease of Access => Display => Make text bigger.
Some more fixes –
- The developer team has fixed the candidate numbers which sometimes disappeared from the candidate window.
- Moreover, Shift + Number wasn’t working for the selection of an associated phrase.
Notification settings improvements now rolling out to all of Fast
This update comes with improvements in Notification settings subsequent to the Windows 10 build 18932. Let’s have recapitulation –
- Hovering over an incoming notification will show a settings icon that lets you adjust the app’s notification settings in an easier way.
- You will see per-app notification settings design with more clear visuals.
- You will find a link straight to notification settings at the top of the Action Center.
- Settings for Notifications & Action now has a toggle to mute the sound of all notifications.
- You will observe the senders in Notifications & Action Settings organized by – most recently sent a notification – by default.
Cortana rollout increasing to more Insiders using English (United States)
The update has brought new Cortana experience to 50% of the Insiders using English (US). To experience the changes you may need to reboot your PC.
Windows 10 Build 18956 Other Updates for Insiders
Calculator app updates
Microsoft will be pushing updates for Calculator app update to Insiders in the Fast ring. You can switch this application on Top mode forever by clicking the icon next to the calculator mode name.
Windows 10 Build 18956 General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- This update brings Tamper Protection enabled by default for all Insiders. You can see this modification reflected on your PC across the coming few weeks.
- The build solved certain interface that would surprisingly dismiss prior to it could be captured in the snip when snipping via Print Screen was enabled.
- Windows 10 Build 18956 settled down touch keyboard button that was not launching the touch keyboard on some devices.
- The Windows 10 insider developers team solved dragging File Explorer search result dropdown problem, The drop down could finish disconnected from the search box.
- Current build fixed search box problem where you need to double click to clear result.
- It solved Automatically type into Search Box – view setting would result in the first letter of your File Explorer search being dropped.
- Windows 10 insider team settled File Explorer recent searches that weren’t disabled when the group policy – Turn off display of recent search entries in the File Explorer search box – was enabled.
- They solved explorer.exe crashing particularly when searching in File Explorer starting in a OneDrive folder if OneDrive was not running.
- The developer’s team resolved Homegroup options that might be available in the – Give access to – context menu entry.
- The team solved taskbar search crash just after log-in.
- 19H1 has been a longstanding problem of PC crashing because of old versions of anti-cheat software used with games. The company is working with partners on getting their software updated with a fix. So ensure that you are running the latest version of your games to avoid this kind of issue before attempting to update the operating system.
- Certain Realtek SD card readers are not working correctly.
- Candidate selection in prediction candidate window for the Japanese IME doesn’t match with the composition storing infrequently. The company is investigating the problem.
- Network status shows incorrect, but the device is able to use the connection during Cellular network.
Source – Windows Experience blog.