The Beta channel of the program obtained an update with a good number of bug fixes and improvements on 08/11/2022. KB5020054 is the release that brings Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22623.885 and 22621.885. The rollout has new features such as Windows Studio Effects, Energy Recommendations, and Expanded View in Widgets.
Full name of this version is “Cumulative Update KB5020054 (Build 22623.885 and 22621.885) for Windows 11 Version 22H2”. The complete build number is – 10.0.22621.885.ni_release_svc_prod2.221024-0953. The new feature is turned off for Build 22623.885 and enabled for Build 22621.885 in this Windows update. If you have already enabled Build 22622 you will automatically get moved to Build 22623 via an enablement package. Let’s see What’s new in this –
KB5020054 Windows 11 Build 22623.885, 22621.885 Beta channel changes and bug fixes
Here is the changelog –
Access Windows Studio Effects from Quick Settings
After installing KB5020054 you will be able to access Windows Studio effects straight from Quick Settings on the taskbar. But keep in mind that your device should support Neural Processing Unit aka NPU to use this feature. This modern attribute eases enabling and configuring audio effects (Voice Focus) and camera effects (Background Blur, Eye Contact, and automatic framing). Furthermore, you can access these effects from the Settings pages.
The Beta channel build brings Energy Recommendations located on “Settings => System => Power & Battery => Energy Recommendations”. These settings will help observe the energy efficiency of PC and reduce carbon footprint by applying the recommendations.
What’s new in Build 22621.885 & 22623.885
Expanded View in Widgets
This build brings some changes that will permit you to increase and decrease space in your widgets board and expand the size of its size.
In this concern, click the collapse and expand from the top right corner of the board just next to the add widgets button.
The system already memorizes the size of board, so if you want the widgets board to always display more content and leave it expanded.
Changes and Improvements in Build 22623.885
- KB5020054 LCU includes support to rearrange icons in the hidden icons flyout in the system tray that began rolling out with Build 22623.746.
- The build brings forward a new keyboard named Tamil Anjal for the Tamil language. To add it, first of all, ensure that Tamil (India), Tamil (Singapore), Tamil (Sri Lanka), Tamil (Malaysia), or Tamil is listed under Settings => Time & Language => Language & Region. Now click the “…” located next to the language. Select Language Options, and then add Tamil Anjal (QWERTY) to the list of keyboards.
- Windows 11 build 22623.885 and 22621.885 comprise support for the use of clipboard history (WIN+V) on password fields.
- Also, the new version switched the OSK icon option under Settings => Personalization => Taskbar from being a toggle to now being a drop down where you can select Never, Always, or When no keyboard attached.
Fixes in Build 22623.885
Taskbar & System Tray
- Windows 11 Build 22623.885 settled explorer.exe crash related to the recent system tray and taskbak work.
- The pin/unpin visual will now onwards show when dragging system tray icons to any position along the system tray, and not only when hovering over the show hidden icons button.
- The experts in the team fixed certain chat apps that support it weren’t flashing with new messages or opening a preview on hover in the system tray.
- In the CU KB5020054, the show hidden icons flyout in the system tray should responsively resize with changes again to prevent empty spaces and columns.
- They solved show hidden icons flyout appearing are disconnected from the taskbar in certain cases.
- Experts team for the Beta version fixed the volume icon in the system tray that incorrectly shows as muted.
- Also, they fixed invoking the context menu for items in the system tray that might not put the menu in the foreground. Additionally, it would get stuck behind the taskbar.
- Experts in the beta channel did some work that allowed improving the performance of deleting files through File Explorer. This occurs when evacuating the recycle bin or using Shift+Delete shortcut in case where there are a large number of files being deleted at once.
Fixes for BOTH Build 22621.885 & Build 22623.885
- They fixed an issue that affects some modern applications. It stops them from opening.
- The new version is analyzing the feedback about audio stopped working for some Insiders which occurs in recent Beta Channel builds. See – How To Fix Sound Not Working in Windows 11 (Solved!).
Taskbar & System Tray
- In Windows 11 Build 22621.885 and 22623.885, The taskbar sometimes flashes when transitioning between desktop and tablet posture.
- On LCU KB5020054, taskbar takes more time to transition to the touch-optimized version when shifting between tablet and desktop posture.
- In this beta release, when you use the bottom right edge gesture to see Quick Settings sometimes it does not work. Instead, the taskbar gets stuck in the expanded state, and it is dismissed to the collapsed state.
KB5020054 Download links –
- x64.cab – https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/S2TIMnb4#file
- x64.psf – https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/ogzIM154#file
- SSU-22621.885-x64.cab – https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/gsTIsTBm#file
- arm64.cab – https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/3hTosuak#file
- arm64.psf – https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/2TzosUbm#file
- SSU-22621.885-x64.psf – https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/NETosgB0#file
Source – Windows blog