Java Error Code 1618 in Windows 10 is one of the nagging issues that most users confront while installing the Runtime on their devices. A message for the issue prompts up from Microsoft Installer (.msi) which states that another .msi is under process. However, the appearance of this error does not always indicate that another instance of Java is functioning in the background. But there is a possibility that any other installation is going on which eventually blocks the JVM installation.
Addition to the clash in the Microsoft Installer, there are other reasons too behind this error. When the component service fails to run properly, it may lead to Java Error Code 1618 in Windows 10. Moreover, the incomplete or malfunctioning Java installer may also be a cause. Presence of third-party applications and certain antivirus programs creates conflict with the installer. So, to get rid of this error message, you need to try out the following workarounds and see which one lets your device complete the Java installation.
Java Error Code 1618 in Windows 10 Solutions
Here is how to fix Java Error Code 1618 in Windows 10 –
End the Service msiexec.exe
Step-1: Make a right-click on the taskbar and choose Task Manager (see screenshot).
Step-2: Be into the Processes tab. Here, locate every msiexec.exe and TrustedInstaller.exe you can see. Perform a right-click on each and from the options, choose End task.
Step-3: Now, you need to navigate to the Java installer and install Java on your device. Hopefully, this will not show you any error.
Modify Windows Installer Service
Even after ending the service, if you experience Java Error Code 1618 in Windows 10, then you should try to change the service. You need to start the service but, to execute this task, ensure you have admin rights.
- Open Run dialog box by hitting “Windows logo + R” keyboard shortcut keys. Here, type services.msc and click OK to proceed further.
- On the Services console, locate Windows Installer. Do a right-click on it and select Properties.
- In the next wizard, click the Start button underneath the section Service status (see screenshot).
Finally, give an attempt to install Java and see if this fixes Java Error Code 1618 in Windows 10.
Run Offline Java Installer
Try to run offline Java installer if restarting the service keeps showing you the error code. For certain reasons, if “Windows installer” fails to bring the required files into action, then you may see Java Error Code 1618 in Windows 10. The offline installer is itself a very huge file which includes all the required modules. Hence, you don’t need to install anything separately.
- First of all, ensure to remove all the existing instances of Java from your device.
- Once you finish, visit the official website of Java. Here, locate and download the file Windows Offline, the offline installer.
- After downloading the “installer”, do a right-click on the file. Choose “Run as administrator”. Complete the installation procedure and restart Windows 10 PC and henceforth check for the error.
Obtain Windows Update
Microsoft very often releases updates for Windows Installer in order to enhance features moreover to remove bugs and problems as well.
- Press “Win logo + I” keyboard shortcut keys to open Windows Settings, the built-in application.
- Select Update & Security.
- Click Check for updates button on the right pane of the following page. Wait for it to download and install. Finally, restart the device and try to run the Java Installer.
Revert Back the Update
For certain users, the installation of the cumulative update did not work. If installing the updates doesn’t help you out, give an attempt and uninstall the last installed cumulative patch.
- Click on Start and select the cog shape icon to access the Settings app.
- Navigate to Update & Security category.
- Make a click on View update history as shown in the given picture.
- On the next page, click Uninstall updates.
- This will immediately launch the Control Panel with the list of installed updates on your device. Locate the KB update that is creating the error code. Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Once you successfully uninstall the update, reboot the device. Finally, try launching Java Installer.
Execute Clean Boot
Clean boot a device may successfully solve Java Error Code 1618 in Windows 10. Using this tool PC will start up with a minimal set of programs and drivers as well. It will only run the system services. Once you get into the clean boot, give a shot to run the Java Installer.
- Get access to the Run dialog box by pressing “Win logo + R” hotkeys. Type in the code msconfig and click OK to continue further.
- When you open System Configuration, instantly navigate to the Services tab.
- At the bottom, ensure to checkmark the box against the option namely “Hide all Microsoft services“. As a result, all the Microsoft related services get disabled except the third-party services.
- Proceeding ahead, click the Disable all button (see snapshot).
- Finally, click Apply and OK buttons in order to implement the modifications.
- Once you do this, move to the Startup tab. Here, execute a hit on “Open Task Manager“. The action will directly take you to the “Startup” tab of the Task Manager where you will find all the services or applications that runs during the startup of the device.
- Select each one of them and click the Disable button at the bottom.
- Lastly, Restart Windows 10 PC for the modifications to take place and then try to run the installer.
Hopefully, these solutions will help you to get rid of Java Error Code 1618 in Windows 10. If you have some more workarounds, do share them with us too.