wfs.exe refers to Windows Fax and scan executable file which obviously helps windows run the concerned work. This is a legitimate file from Microsoft so first of all nothing to worry about virus or malware. But several users report about wfs.exe missing or not found error in Windows 10 or 11. This problem typically occurs when Windows is unable to find or launch WFS.exe.
This issue likely appears when trying to start Windows Fax and scan and open the file from its location. wfs.exe is missing or not found can be easily fixed by installing the optional feature from either Settings, Windows Features, or Command prompt. If this executable file is corrupted the issue may also occur. See – Fix Input and Output audio devices missing in Sound settings in Windows 10.
WFS.exe is missing or not Found
Here is how to Fix wfs.exe is missing or not Found Error in Windows 11 or 10 –
Way-1: Install the Window Fax and Scan
Simply reinstalling the Window Fax and Scan can solve this problem and there are multiple methods for this process. CMD command, Settings app, and Windows feature are the platform using which you can easily install or reinstall wfs.exe. Follow the steps –
A] Using the Settings app
- Press Winkey+I.
- Select Apps once the Settings open.
- Navigate to the right pane and click on Optional features.
- Then, click on View features.
- On Add an additional feature window, type scan in the search bar.
- Check the box for Windows Fax and Scan (8.87 MB).
- Click on Next.
- On the coming windows select – Install.
B] Through Windows Features
- Right-click on Start and select Run.
- Type – appwiz.cpl.
- Once Programs and Features comes on the screen, click on the link saying – “Turn Windows features on or off”.
- Find “Windows Fax and Scan” and check this option.
- Select – OK.
- If asked restart your computer.
C] Using cmd command
- Click on – Search.
- Type – CMD.
- Select – Run as administrator.
- When User account control prompts up, choose – Yes.
- Type the syntax –
dism /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Print.Fax.Scan~~~~0.0.1.0
- Hit – Enter.
Way-2: Copy the wfs.exe file from another computer
You can use this method as an alternative to the above-mentioned first one. Before copying original wfs.exe file make sure that the Windows version installed on another computer is the same as yours. Then go to the following locations and copy one from there to solve wfs.exe is missing.
- Insert a Flash drive in another computer in which WFS.exe is available.
- Press Windows and E.
- On the File Explorer, browse the location underneath
- Copy the file and paste it into the flash drive.
- Eject the drive and put into your computer.
- Then copy the file from the drive.
- Access C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and paste WFS.exe.
Way-3: Run SFC and DISM utilities to fix the corrupted file
Sometimes, WFS.exe is missing or not found error might occur because of damaged system files. Fortunately, the built-in command line utility SFC and DISM are enough to deal with these reasons and solve the problem ending with solution to the executable. Therefore, follow the steps –
- Open Command prompt as administrator.
- Press “Enter” and allow the execution of the command and reach it 100%.
- Restart your PC and see if the error no longer appears.
- If the issue still persists then again launch the command prompt with administrative privileges.
- Enter the below commands and hit the enter key one after another –
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Reboot the device and check if the error is fixed.