KB4493441 is rolled out for Windows 10 1709 on patch Tuesday. The update brings multiple improvements such as in stop error for SSH client program, Group Policy editor stops responding, and applications that use MSXML6. There is one known issue regarding Custom URI Schemes, however, Microsoft is working on a resolution and will offer an update to fix this.
You will get the patch automatically unless the Windows update is working fine and you have not disabled or paused it. In case, you want to download KB4493441 as standalone package you can follow the link at the bottom. See the details ahead.
KB4493441 Windows 10 1709 16299.1087 Patch Tuesday Update details of Improvements and fixes
This patch includes quality improvements. Key changes of this cumulative update include –
- In KB4493441, Microsoft developers address a problem in applications that use MSXML6. These apps may stop responding if an exception was thrown in the middle of node operations.
- They try to fix Group Policy editor stops responding issue. This occurs when editing a Group Policy Object (GPO) that contains Group Policy Preferences (GPP) for Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) Internet settings.
- The patch works on a stop error that takes place when attempting to start the Secure Shell (SSH) client program from Windows Subsystem for Linux. The problem occurs if the program start with agent forwarding enabled using a command line switch (ssh –A) or a configuration setting.
- The Cumulative update tries to fix an issue that happens when you enable per font end-user-defined characters (EUDC). As a result, the system will stop working and a blue screen of death will appear at startup. This is not a usual setting in non-Asian regions.
- The Patch Tuesday includes Security updates to different components of Microsoft OS and Dev.
To get all the patches in a single page, follow – Windows 10 Cumulative Updates List.
KB4493441 Known issues
|Subsequent to receiving this update, Custom URI Schemes for Application Protocol handlers may not open corresponding application for local intranet and trusted sites on (IE) Internet Explorer.||Right-click the URL link to open it in a new window or tab.
Enable Protected Mode in Internet Explorer for local intranet and trusted sites.
Relaunch the browser for making these effective.
Microsoft is trying to resolve Custom URI Schemes issue and will offer an update in an upcoming release.
How to get this cumulative update
Microsoft suggests installing the latest SSU before getting KB4493441. This will make reliability better for the update process to mitigate potential problem while installing the patch.
Windows Update will provide the latest Servicing Stack update (KB4485448) automatically. Moreover, you can get the standalone package of this SSU from Microsoft Update Catalog.
Once you are ready, follow the instructions to download KB4493441 and install –
- Press Win+I and let the Windows Settings appear.
- Select Update & Security.
- Go the right pane on the subsequent screen and click on Check for updates.
If you find any issues navigate to the Microsoft Update Catalog and download KB4493441 as standalone package.