Windows 10 version 2004 got compatibility update today on Patch Tuesday. Also called Dynamic update KB4557956 this patch simplifies the installation experience when updating to May 2020 update.
As usual, you will receive the patch on x64, x86, and ARM-based system through automatic update process. If you need to do the same manually see the bottom of this post.
KB4557956 Dynamic update or Compatibility update Windows 10 2004
Today Microsoft rolled out a bunch of security updates such as KB4557957 Windows 10 2004, KB4560960 Windows 10 1909 and other. KB4557956 Dynamic update is the part of them that improves the experience when installing May 2020 version. The patch will be installed automatically and there are no prerequisites to apply this dynamic update.
You don’t need to restart your computer after you apply this dynamic update.
This is the first package for Windows 10 2004 so the compatibility update does not replace any previously released update.
How to download KB4557956 and install
In case you haven’t received manually, you are able to install the patch using 2 ways –
Via Check for updates
- Launch Windows Settings (Win+I).
- Select the category Update & Security.
- You will notice Windows update page of Settings appearing as default. Click the Check for updates link.
From Microsoft update catalog .cab installer –
- Visit this website.
- Select the correct file that supports your system specifications and Windows 2004 version. Click on Download and then on .cab link on the pop up.
- Once downloaded, extract setupprep.exe file. Double click on the extracted file and follow the onscreen instructions till the end.
Source – Release note.