Blue Screen error KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION in the Windows 10 compels the system to restart time and again without prior noticing. This BSOD issue refers to an illegal operation that was attempted on the priority floor of a particular thread. The problem has a bug check value 0x00000157 and always ends to reboot the affected device automatically.
Once you experience KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION, you might come across error messages while starting an application or closing followed with desktop freezing. Managing the complexities of such a Windows 10 error is for high-level users. This type of error is basically the result of inconsistent and outdated faulty device drivers which causes to crash and restart your machine constantly. When the malicious software or trojans deletes the system resources, you can easily be prey of this error. This mainly happens because of the conflict between similar applications. Along with the memory issues, bad areas in Hard Disk can also be the possible causes of this mess up. Before going beyond the control of the consequences of this issue, let’s dismiss it using the workarounds as following. First of all, have a brief look at the list of the solutions –
1] Disable Automatic Device Reboot
2] Kill Malware
3] Use Windows Blue Screen Troubleshooter
4] Take Help from Windows Device Manager and Update Drivers
5] Resolve the Memory Problems
6] Install the available Update files
7] Offer the Additional Hard Drive little rest
8] Rectify Windows System Components issue
9] Remove all Similar kinds of Programs
10] Fix-up the Poor Hard Disc Sections
11] Clear junk files
12] Uninstall Problematic Windows Update Files
13] Perform System Restore
14] Solve the Windows Image
15] Remove the Third Party anti-virus Applications
16] Enter Safe Boot Mode
This is how to fix KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error in Windows 10 –
1] Disable Automatic Device Reboot
Once a device is fully affected by KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION Error, you will experience automatic restarting at a quite regular interval. This is one of the most disturbing parts of the Blue screen error. Having this issue, you cannot have enough time to understand what’s happening actually. To implement a resolution will be tougher as well. Therefore, we are considering this problem in the first place and trying to disable the feature. Proceed with the following steps to accomplish the task –
Step-1: First of all, press Win+D simultaneously and head to the desktop area.
Step-2: Do a right-click on This PC icon and select Properties option from the context menu.
Step-3: On the following screen, select Advanced system settings from the left pane.
Step-4: Inside the System Properties wizard, you need to shift to locate the Advanced tab.
Step-5: Get access to Startup and Recovery region and click on the Settings option here.
Step-6: Move to the System failure section and uncheck the box adjacent to ‘Automatically restart‘.
Step-7: Finally, click on the OK button to save the changes.
After these changes are put into effect, you will not experience the automatic restarting anymore. Therefore, you can have enough room to use other workarounds smoothly.
2] Kill Malware to Fix KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error
You all might be well aware of the damage done by the malicious software still incapable to escape from them. These bugs exist throughout on the web and anytime we can be the easiest kill. A regular scanning for viruses in full system is necessary and you can get the best deal from Windows Security app only. This is the built-in anti-malware program powered by Microsoft especially for Windows 10. Here is the process to kill the malware using the default app –
- Press the Windows key from your keyboard.
- Type Virus & threat protection and hit the Enter.
- When the Windows Security page opens, select Scan options to reveal all the available processes.
- On the succeeding page, check the radio button for Full scan and hit the Scan now button.
- After completion of the scanning, select Clean threats option if any malware present and dismiss them.
- Thereafter, on moving to the succeeding page, you will see three options available.
- Select Remove and later on Start actions button to start the removal.
3] Use Windows Blue Screen Troubleshooter for BSOD issues
This tool is able to remove the BSOD problem from the devices. If you are using any version equal or above that then you can easily resolve KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error using this utility. Here are the following instructions to run the troubleshooter –
- Press Win+I and let Windows Settings app appear.
- Choose Update & Security.
- On the subsequent page, choose Troubleshoot subsection from the left layout.
- In the right side of the appearing screen, find out the Blue Screen option.
- Once you located it, select and hit Run the Troubleshooter button.
Once it detects the Blue Screen Troubleshooter error, this will resolve them by itself. In due course, you can get rid of KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error in Windows 10.
4] Take Help from Windows Device Manager and Update Drivers
Among all the problems behind KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error, a defective, outdated and incompatible driver is the most potential reason to cause this. Therefore, here we need to take an immediate step to update them and in that case, Device Manager can be suitable. Outdated drivers are represented with recognizing indication and that makes the task a lot easier. Here is how to update the drivers using the default app –
- Press Win+S hotkey and invoke Taskbar search on display.
- Type Device Manager in the empty field and press the Enter key.
- Take a bit of while and have a proper glance on the devices having an exclamation mark in them.
- If there is any, do a click on that specific device to expand and split the driver list.
- Do a right-click on the drivers and choose Update driver option from the appeared menu.
- Now, follow the on-screen guidance to update the drivers.
- Similarly, do the same with all devices having the mark of exclamation.
Once all the drivers are well up to date, restart the computer normally and after the starting up, check for the error. Hopefully, it will resolve the KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error in Windows 10.
5] Resolve the Memory Problems immediately
If Windows suffers from memory issues, KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error may occur. The same consequence is a must if the Computer’s RAM also suffers from bad areas in it. To solve all these components, Windows Memory Diagnostic come out as rescuer. Here is how to proceed for the tool –
- Press Win and I keys and let the system launch the Settings app.
- Type memory in the search box located on the app UI.
- As you see “Diagnose your computer’s memory problems” in the result, select it immediately.
- Select ‘Restart now and check for problems (recommended)’ option.
- At this time, Windows will undergo restarting with this action. After signing back in, a Blue screen will appear in the display and start detecting RAM issues. Once the process reaches 100%, the system will reboot once again by itself.
- When it Startup again, check the outcomes of the System Tray – Notification area.
Once all these memory issues will sort out, KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error in Windows 10 will fix as well.
6] Install the available Update files and make OS up to date
All the cumulative updates, patches, and major releases hold addressing of existing bugs and problems accompanied with all new features. Once Windows is outdated, it can be easy kill to KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error. We can simply install all the available patches in order to update OS as well as make it stronger. Follow the below instruction to do the task –
Important – Try using speedy internet connection via wireless or Ethernet cable. In the case of using Mobile Hotspot, disable the Metered Connection first or else, the downloading process will not start.
Step-1: Click on the Start button.
Step-2: Select the Settings icon to open it.
Step-3: Click on Update & Security.
Step-4: On the following page, choose Windows Update from the left flank.
Step-5: Move to the right, click on Check for updates button under it.
Step-6: When the entire patches available here, select the Download button.
Step-7: On finishing the process, the installation will start by itself.
Step-8: Be careful about the further instructions coming here.
7] Offer the Additional Hard Drive little rest to Fix KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error
Some people have gone through the worst consequences of KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error just after connecting an additional HDD with PC. Nowadays, we need an extra hard disk for serving vibrant purposes. Fortunately, the fix is simpler than we could ever think. Only disconnecting will do the trick. Follow the below instructions and offer them an instantly break –
- First of all, disconnect the additional hard drive and place it in a safe place with care.
- Now, click on the Start button and Restart Windows 10 PC.
- When Windows completes the cycle of rebooting, perform checking in the system for the existence of the error.
- If nothing comes up, plug in all the separated accessory one by one.
- When the connecting procedure ends, open the web browser from the computer and make a visit to the manufacturer website for the device.
- Download and install again the latest drivers.
8] Rectify Windows System Components issue and Recover missing DLL files
KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error is developed in a system when DLL files go missing and system resources are corrupted. A handy tool named System File Checker can resolve all these issues. To launch the utility, instructions are as follows –
- Open the Taskbar search by pressing Win+S hotkey together.
- In the void, type cmd, and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter together.
- This will launch Elevated Command Prompt.
- Click on the Yes button to give consent once User account control dialog prompts.
- In the following window, type the following command line –
- Press Enter key to activate the System File Checker in it.
- This will recover all the missing DLL files and fix corrupted resources in the system.
- It might take a long time, so wait patiently until finished off.
Finally, restart the device and check if KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error in Windows 10 has resolved.
9] Remove all Similar kinds of Programs staying together in the system
Similar types of programs when staying together in the system, engage in collision with each other. In the end, they delete necessary OS files and KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error rises up. To stop this, uninstalling is the key only. Here is how to uninstall an app from the system –
- Launch Settings app using any handy method as we explained above.
- Click Apps.
- Select Apps & features lying on the left side.
- Jump to the alternate pane and reach to programs colliding with each other once they are available in the list.
- Select the app and hit the Uninstall button.
- If UAC dialog prompts for permission, hit Yes to continue.
- Once the uninstalling finishes following additional guidelines coming to display, restart Windows.
- Prior to signing back, if the error is resolved successfully, download and install these apps if necessary.
10] Fix-up the Poor Hard Disc Sections using Disk Checking Tool
If Hard Disk has bad areas present in it, will definitely suffer from KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error. Disk Checking is a much recommendable tool for fixing these areas in a smooth way. To power up the tool, first, you have to run command in Elevated Command Prompt. The guidelines for that is as follows –
- First of all, press Ctrl+Alt+Del.
- Select Task Manager from the appearing window.
- Once it opens, select File option located at the top left end.
- Choose Run new task from visible options.
- When a dialog appears, type cmd in the blank text area.
- Thereafter, tick the box leading to the option “Create this task with administrative privileges”.
- Select the OK button and let Elevated Command Prompt appear.
- Type the following command and press the Enter key –
chkdsk [Drive:] [parameters]
- Disk Checking tool will start showing disk status only.
- Now, arrange the command in following way –
/f /r /x
In the above command line, we have used f for fixing the detected problems in volume.
r for bringing out the bad areas in the Hard disk.
x for making the total volume dismounted before the operation begins.
Accordingly, the final command seems like-
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Here, C: is added as we have installed the OS in this drive. For your case, use any like D:, E: or any based on where you have installed Windows 10.
- Now, hit the Enter button after typing the whole command.
- This process will take a while for finishing up, hold the patience till it gets over completely.
- Once finished, you can reboot the PC and afterward, check whether the workaround has resolved KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error in Windows 10.
11] Clear junk files to have extra space in Disk
Junk files are automatically created by the system for the execution of tasks and they are useful for a temporary period of time. However, they are useless but still stored in Disk space. In due course, they keep piling up and at a time occupy huge space. As a result, the normal functionality of device deteriorates and also cause the KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error. Disk Cleanup tool easily delete them all together once activated. Here is how to free up space using the tool –
- Do a right-click on the Start menu and select the Run option.
- Type cleanmgr in the text box and hit the Enter key.
- From the dialog, select C: from the dropdown menu and press the Enter key.
- This will calculate the recoverable space on Drive C:
- Scroll and click on the Clean up system files option.
- You will see the small popup dialog coming up once again and asking for the desired drive.
- Choose C: again from the menu and also select the OK button.
- At this time, Disk Cleanup for (C:) will disappear after running the calculation.
- Subsequently, check all the items available except Downloads.
- Hit OK from the bottom to initiate the cleanup process.
Note – Prior to commencing the process, carry out a check-in Recycle Bin for necessary files in it. Restore to respective location if you find any.
12] Uninstall Problematic Windows Update Files to Resolve KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error
If the Windows updating process stops at midway, the files become corrupted. It would be the main cause of KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION. Usually, this case is very rare but might happen in case of you. The resolution is to delete them ASAP using below steps –
- Press Win+I together and let Windows Settings appear.
- Click on the Update & Security icon.
- On the subsequent page, choose Windows Update from the left pane.
- Navigating ahead to the corresponding pane, click on the link View update history.
- After that, do a click on the Uninstall updates link.
- This act will open up the Installed Updates window by default. Reach to the last received patch.
- Select it and hit Uninstall option from the top ribbon.
- Follow the upcoming guidelines on display to complete the deleting process.
13] Perform System Restore to take Windows 10 to previous point
You can get KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error after making abnormal changes by installing or uninstalling a program. Performing System Restore will guide you back in the earlier state if you have previously created Restore points. You can use this workaround and probably, can skip the BSOD error. To use the method, the instructions are –
Note – If you have not ever created restore points, bypass this workaround and pass to the next resolution. You cannot accomplish the task without having points created before.
- Open Run dialog using a suitable way as we explained above.
- Type ‘rstrui‘ and press the Enter key.
- Hit Next from the bottom of this appearing wizard.
- On the succeeding window, make a click on Show more restore points if want to see all the previous ones.
- Choose the recent one in the list and hit the Next button again.
- From the window appearing next, select Finish to start the Restoring process.
14] Solve the Windows Image Files to fix KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error
For so many reasons, Windows image files fall into corruption. Unless we fix them, can cause KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error any time. DISM tool very handy application that can easily solve this task. To access the utility, proceed with the following –
- Open Command Prompt as administrator using the above guidelines.
- Once it opens, type following command-line tool –
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Press Enter.
- The tool will instantly start working and will fix all the defective Windows image files by itself.
- Once the task is finished, reboot the device to make this resolution effective.
Upon returning back to the desktop, check if there is KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error in Windows 10.
15] Remove the Third Party anti-virus Applications
Anti-virus applications are necessary to deal with malware and you cannot really feel safe without one. With time, Windows Security has become the best ever utility in this case. Other Third-party anti-malware programs become unnecessary and can cause KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error also. Thus, you can prevent BSOD issue by deleting these programs. To complete the task, instructions are as following –
- Invoke Run dialog by making a combined press of Win+R.
- Type appwiz.cpl in the text box and click on the OK button.
- When the Programs and Features window appears, move out for Third Party anti-virus Application in the appearing list.
- Do a right-click on it and choose Uninstall option.
- Hit Yes if UAC prompts.
- Follow the guidelines coming afterwards until this app uninstall successfully.
16] Enter Safe Boot Mode
From the very primitive period, during all Windows issues, Booting in Safe Mode came out victorious. In this mode, the OS starts with loading only the basic programs and most of the critical issue disappears with this only. As a well-known workaround, let’s follow the below instructions –
Step#1: Click on the Start button and select the Power icon.
Step#2: Continuously press the Shift key then click on the restart via start menu.
Step#3: Windows will prepare for rebooting initially and then you notice view a blue screen having few options at the Startup.
Step#4: Click on the Troubleshoot.
Step#5: Select Advanced options and click on Startup Settings.
Step#6: Now, restart Windows 10 once more.
Step#7: The startup screen will have options Boot in Safe Mode.
Step#8: Finally, click on the F8 key and head to the Safe Mode next.
So far, we have elaborated all the effective workarounds resolving KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION BSOD Error. As you have come to this point, probably, the issue is no more prevalent in your system. If you still have the same situation like before, we can suggest only last resort – Reinstalling Windows 10. This will be the ultimate solution for all problems if done with perfection.
However, if you have made your mind to go with the workaround, make sure you have saved the backup for all the essential data to avoid loss. Furthermore, to avoid any issue, you can also take help from professional for performing the task.