Windows 10, after every six months, comes up with a new feature update and within this duration testing and experimentation go on. Windows insider is the platform to keep you updated on the running development through builds in rings and channels. Currently, the development of Windows 10 20H2 is in process you will receive the final update later half this year. So here we are with Windows 10 2009 20H2 All Features, Improvements and Changes.
Microsoft has changed the development cycle of Windows 10 20H2 and named it RS_PRERELEASE. However, for the last some builds, the name is again changed and now it is mn_release. Till now the name of Windows 10 20H2 is not confirmed so far, builds in Fast ring are coming out from the active development branch. The release will be available in the 2nd half of 2020 here are the features and changes in the new version. Windows 10 20H2 Changelog is based on the builds released in the Fast ring.
Windows 10 2019 20H2 Features, Improvements and Changes
Here are Windows 10 2019 20H2 all Features, Improvements and Changes –
The latest Windows 10 version intends to include drivers, feature updates, and monthly non-security quality updates in one place. So Optional updates are found in Settings => Update & Security => Windows Update => View optional updates. When Windows will detect any optional update it will list under this location.
As a result, you no longer need to browse Device Manager for a particular device to update. Furthermore, the driver will be automatically up-to-date and the optional drivers will stand to help you in case of any problems.
Re-releasing the updated Korean IME
Microsoft started working on Korean IME modern UI to provide better typing experience while the development of 19H1. But later on, seeing insiders’ feedback, the company decided to improve it further instead of including in that release.
Recap the most noticeable changes included as part of this IME work –
The build 19536 Windows 10 2009 20H2 came with a fresh candidate selection window in Korean IME that includes advanced controls and more apparent typography.
This IME contains a modernized algorithm that works for text prediction when typing in Korean language using touch keyboard. Text suggestions should now be more precise and relevant to what you are writing.
Family group setup
Microsoft has an important family feature that works across various platforms, such as Windows, Xbox, and Android. You are able to set multiple things up here, like content filters, have kids ask before they purchase something, and screen time limits. Moreover, you can stay organized with OneNote, a shared family calendar, and Office 365 Home subscription on Windows. In case of sharing a device with family, it’s very simple to get their account set up in a family group. Thus you can take advantage of all these features.
Now you have the ability to configure a device in the way multiple people in your family can handle it. You need to navigate to Security and Privacy > Child accounts and family settings to test the features.
Your Phone app
Windows 10 2009 20H2 allows to view and interact with the latest 2,000 photos from Android phone’s camera roll on PC. In this way, you don’t have to bother to email photos to yourself. Simply take a pic on Android phone and see it instantly on PC. Besides, use only drag and drop to add a recent image to email, presentation or paper. You can also snugly share the photos with family or friends or save it to PC by right clicking on the image.
Photos requirements –
- Android phones powered with version 7.0 or higher.
- PC with Windows 10 April 2018 Update or later.
Phone screen supports pen input
You are able to use digital pen having supportive stylus to type on any touch screen Windows 10 system to interact with mobile apps while in Phone screen session. Therefore, leverage pen pressure sensitivity for drawing and writing like you would with your phone’s stylus with apps that support pressure sensitivity. You have also ability to hover over buttons, and it differentiates between finger touch and pen.
Calls feature using Your Phone App
Windows 10 20H2 features to answer phone calls from PC. You just need to tap into PC speaker and mic for a richer calling experience. Transfer calls between devices for privacy or when you are on the go.
Your Phone app calls capabilities –
- You can reply to incoming phone calls on PC.
- The application allows starting phone calls from PC through contact list or in-app dialer.
- You can reject incoming phone calls on PC with pre-defined or custom text. Additionally, you are able to send the text directly to your phone’s voicemail.
- The app lets view accessing recent call history on PC. To call or send text you just need to select the phone number.
- You experience the seamless transfer of calls between your devices.
- You have the ability to initiate a call in a supported browser by selecting a phone number.
Your Phone app Calls requirements –
- Android smartphones powered with at least version 7.0.
- Windows 10 PC having a Bluetooth radio feature.
- Windows 10 May 2019 Update or higher.
Some more features
Recovery Environment doesn’t demand an administrator password to access recovery tools.
File Explorer search enables you to eliminate previous searches using an option after right-clicking the entry in the dropdown list.
Hotspot 2.0 setting below Wi-Fi has been removed. This feature will be working as a part of having Wi-Fi enabled.
New Location in-use icon
Windows 10 20H2 will have a new location in use icon in the notification area.
Showing architecture in Task Manager
Task Manager Details tab includes a column named Architecture.
Cortana App Update
Cortana again includes Bing Instant Answers and Timers in this Windows 10 version. You can ask the voice assistant to perform the tasks like –
- Set a timer for 10 minutes
- When was the Space Needle built?
Experience Graphing Mode in Calculator
Calculator in Windows 10 2009 20H2 will have Graphing capabilities that are also essential for students who are beginning to explore linear algebra. The feature will hopefully enable students to learn maths by improving their conceptual knowledge and attitudes towards math.
You can experience the following changes –
- Plot one or multiple equations on the graph – Enter several equations to differentiate plots against each other and view interactions between the lines. You can also change the line style and graph viewing window to fulfill your needs.
- Add equations with variables – If you enter an equation with a secondary variable (for example, y = mx + b), you’ll have the ability to manipulate them to quickly know how changes to the equation affect the graph.
- Analyze the graph –Trace plots with keyboard or mouse to find the relationship between variables in the equation on the graph. You are also able to analyze equations to help identify key graph features, like the x- and y-intercepts.
Indexer Diagnostics app in Microsoft Store
Windows 10 20H2 2009 includes Indexer Diagnostics app in the Microsoft Store, to improve your knowledge of the search functions and capabilities. The app will increase the troubleshooting ability and provides fixes for general Windows Search issues.
Optional drivers update through Windows update
Windows 10 20H2 keeps pushing optional updates to install new optional drivers available for a PC. You are able to navigate to Settings => Update & Security => Windows Update => View optional updates and manually download the drivers.
Insiders have the ability to view and install Hyper-V features who have arm64 devices, for example, Surface Pro X, equipped with Pro or Enterprise.
Graphics Settings Improvements
Windows 10 20H2 has improved the Graphics settings page with some new options. All you need is navigate to Settings => System= > Display => Graphics settings and experience more control for designating a GPU to use an app. You will notice the prepopulating GPU preference and applications list depending on the “default preference management experience”. In case any app isn’t pre-populated, you are able to add it by using the selection drop-down.
New Calendar app on Windows 10
Windows 10 20H2 came with a new Calendar app preview.
- For the app over 30 different themes are available.
- Month view comprises an agenda pane that allows you to see your day’s events at a glance.
- Adding an event to the calendar is easier now.
- Account navigation pane is flaked out, leaving more space for your day’s events. Syncing calendar accounts are now available as clickable icons on the left.
New apps icons experience
Microsoft is working to revamp the icons across all products and started with the Office icons. Currently, they have updated the icons of Calendar, Alarms & Clock, Calculator, and Mail.
The Windows 10 Start menu showing many of the newly designed icons for the built-in apps.
You will experience the icon change Many after getting app updates from the Microsoft Store.
Diagnostic data changes in Settings
Microsoft is sensible about Required diagnostic data formerly known as Basic diagnostic data they collect from you. Full diagnostic data is now renamed as Optional diagnostic data. Windows 10 20h2 2009 BRINGS Group policy and settings into action to increase transparency and control over data. Customers sending Optional diagnostic data will receive granular Policy settings and have freedom to configure the data collected within their organization. Microsoft will release more particulars around the new policies when getting closer to the retail release. You can visit – Microsoft Privacy Report to have more detail.
Windows Security icon
Windows security has a new more cozy icon in version 2009.
Windows 10 2009 20H2 comes up with PowerToys 0.15.1 with several improvements –
- You don’t require to always run as admin while using this version of the tool.
- Edition 0.15.1 included about 300 unit tests to boost stability moreover prevent regressions.
- Resolved almost 100 bugs and issues.
- Improved .NET Framework parts of the source to work faster with NGEN.
- Improvement for the way to locally store data.
- PowerToys edition 0.15.1 Increased FancyZones compatibility with applications
- The team developed keyboard manager specs, 0 strategy, and launcher.
- They worked on cleaning up issue backlog and labels.
Optional updates improvements
Windows 10 2009 20H2 2009 keep running experiment with optional updates that will not automatically download and install driver. To install “optional driver”, navigate to Settings => Update & Security => Windows Update => View optional updates and manually download.
Windows 10 20H2 has modified Advanced startup to enable some Ease of Access features to work properly. Earlier, if the narrator would stop working if the feature was enabled before launching Advanced startup, it. Currently, Advanced startup will reboot straightway into the Windows Recovery Environment.
Eye Control Improvements
Windows 10 offers Eye Control feature that empowers users to interact with Windows with only their eyes. In the current build, settings are now spanned to multiple pages, in order to provide the options a bit more room to breathe.
Samsung Galaxy S20 and Galaxy Z Flip brings new features to Your phone app
Windows 10 2009 introduces mind-blowing features for Samsung Galaxy S20/S20, S20 Ultra, and Samsung Galaxy Z Flip devices in select markets. You are able to experience Rich Communication Service messaging,, copying and pasting text and image among your devices, black screen, etc.
Copy and paste between Phone and PC
In Windows 10 2009 20H2,You can freely copy and paste text and images between your smartphone and Windows 10 PC. Simply turn on this feature in the Your Phone app an use the classic ctrl + C and ctrl + v commands on the PC or the tapping and holding gesture. All you need that your PC is powered with at least Windows 10 1803 April 2018 Update.
Black screen while using phone screen
Windows 10 20H2 2009 provides the option to turn off screen, optimize battery consumption, and protect the privacy of personal content of a phone. Phone screen session will be indicated by Black screen on all supported devices. The black screen appears when the session is initiated and dismisses automatically when it ends. A user can dismiss it anytime by hitting the power button, swiping device screen, activating Bixby or disabling from the Settings page.
- The latest version of Link to Windows,
- Phone screen supporting devices.
Rich Communication Service (RCS)
Your Phone app in Windows 10 2009 20H2 provides support for a great feature called RCS (send/receive) for a richer messaging. Currently, it is available on selected Samsung devices and has provided your mobile operator support RCS. “RCS messaging enabled phones” running the Samsung Messages app as default client have the capability to send and receive messages through Your Phone app. Moreover, users will be able to see their messages get marked as read.
RCS requirements –
- Smartphone Samsung Galaxy S20 series powered with 10.0 or higher.
- PC equipped with at least Windows 10 1803 April 2018 Update.
- Mobile operator supporting RCS messaging.
Windows 10 Build 20H2 will hold the features. Make sure Your Phone Companion app is updated and the device is linked to Windows, and the Your Phone app. Microsoft has planned on supporting additional Samsung devices in upcoming days and will keep you posted.
- Additional friendly string comes in use when The Ease of access tool Narrator explains the audio output within the Select playback device drop-down menu under the volume flyout.
- The tool announces additional information in the Add Bluetooth or other devices dialog in the Settings app after you open first time.
improvements IN Tablet posture for 2-in-1 convertible PC
Windows 10 2009 20H2 the upcoming version 2009 brings tablet experience for 2-in-1 convertible PC. This is different from Tablet Mode experience you are using currently. You have the ability to enter tablet posture using this feature to remain in the familiar desktop experience. This experience can be begun without interruption simply with a few key touch improvements –
- Taskbar icons will be missing.
- You can see Search box on the taskbar into icon-only mode.
- Touch or onscreen keyboard/OSK will automatically invoke when you tap a text field.
- File explorer elements will have a slight bit additional padding, to enhance comfort in interaction using touch.
Tablet settings under Settings => System include more options regarding the experience.
Search Indexer Improvements
Logic in Indexer aka Windows Search Platform has been given a facelift to. The change will help avoid heavy indexing while you are using your machine. Build has also an improvement to significantly lower down the number of times the service indexes files for content that doesn’t have an impact on search experiences. The change will give you a better experience on Windows.
Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) into File Explorer
Windows 10 2009 20H2 has included Windows Subsystem Linux or WSL to navigation pane (Quick access) of File Explorer. When you select the Linux icon from the sidebar you can see you a view of all your distros. Furthermore, the selection of the distro will reveal Linux root file system for that distro.
User cleanup recommendations in Storage Settings
Windows 10 2009 offers Free up disk space tool into Storage Settings that accumulate unused files and apps so you can digitally cleanse your device.
Windows doesn’t suggest or predict if you want to remove personal files, uninstall apps, or delete local copies of files synchronized to the cloud.
Microsoft News Bar (Beta) advent
Windows 10 2009 20H2 introduces a new news consumption app. You will observe a News Bar on the desktop screen that shows you the latest updates from the Microsoft News network of over 4,500 publishers across the world. Follow this article to make changes in it – How to Customize News Bar in Windows 10.
Features of News bar (Beta) –
- Stories from around the globe are continuously updated all day whole.
- Only Hovering will show quick access and to get the full story only a click is required.
- Serve you with News and Stocks today, furthermore Weather and Sports coming in the future.
- The News bar is versatile and flexible, allows you to place it on any side, change appearance and background color, and country.
- App support light and dark themes in Windows 10.
- Also, it supports Multiple Monitors.
Raw Image Extension now supports Canon CR3 format
Windows 10 v1903 introduced Raw Image Extension to support Canon’s latest CR3 raw format to the store in 2019. 1.0.30761.0 version of the same has increased camera support and included many bug fixes.
You can see the current situation on libraw.org documentation for a complete list of supported cameras. Remember that GoPro raw camera format (.GPR) is yet not supported by RAW.
How to try out Raw Image Extension –
- First of all, ensure that you have updated Raw Image Extension to version 1.0.30761.0.
- Go to Settings => Apps.
- Locate Raw Image Extension in the list from the right pane.
- Click on the link Advanced options from under the name of the extension.
- If the version number on the subsequent page is 1.0.30761.0 or later, then you are up to date.
- Alternatively, find Raw Image Extension in the Store to go to the app page.
- If you’d earlier installed the extension, the update via Microsoft store should start automatically.
- Otherwise, click on Update button, or if the app wasn’t already installed, select Get.
- Services that are implemented by binaries located at the user profiles will be persisted on upgrades.
- The Narrator will not turn on scan mode when interacting with the Ideas pane in Excel itself. In the new Microsoft Edge browser, Narrator automatically enables scan mode and starts reading webpages.
Default apps experience improvements
Windows 10 20H2 2009 adds the ability to search the lists of file types, protocols, and apps when setting a default.
Updates for Your Phone app
Drag and Drop files feature
Windows 10 20H2 2009 introduces file drag and drop feature. It allows any Samsung phones that support phone screen feature to wirelessly drag and drop files from phone to PC and reciprocally without having to dig for cables.
- PC must be equipped with Windows 10 v1909 means at least October 2018 Update.
- Your smartphone must support phone screen – Check out the complete list of supporting devices.
Cross-device Copy & Paste feature on additional Samsung Galaxy devices
This feature is now being rolled out to the smartphones Samsung Galaxy S10e, S10, S10+, Note 10, and Fold devices.
A new rounded UI for Compose new messages, within the Messages node, is rolled out.
Windows 10 2009 20H2 introduced a number of UI changes to improve the overall look and feel of the Your Phone app –
- The option to match your app’s background with your phone’s wallpaper. This doesn’t only enhance the look and feel of the application, but it makes it more personal.
- The app background color in dark mode is now a lighter tone of gray.
- Typography of headers is more modern and prominent.
- The update brings responsiveness in addition to app-wide padding to perform in better method for various sizes of the application window when you go across nodes.
Cortana app update
Windows 10 20H2 2009 carries Cortana app update to enable on Assistant Conversations and Bing Answers for the given regions and languages –
United Kingdom: English
You can try out by discussing in the following way –
- What’s the weather?
- What can you do?
- Convert one inch to centimeters
Access to COVID-19 info using search box
You are able to check COVID-19 update staying on Windows 10 – How to Check Coronavirus Update in Windows 10.
Additionally, View interactive map tool allows you to fast access to the Bing COVID-19 Tracker.
Control your music and audio from within the Your Phone app
Windows 10 2009 (20H2) allows you to control your music and audio apps using Your Phone app. You have the ability to access and manage the audio apps playing from your phone straight within the app. Your audio tracks will stay synchronized between your smartphone and PC. You switch anytime between multiple sources using the drop-down in the player.
Key features of music and audio features of your phone app –
- View and interact using the audio applications running from smartphone.
- You can see Audio title track details and stay in sync with what’s playing on your phone.
- You can manage tracks from PC, moreover play, pause, previous/next.
Audio player control requirements
- Audio player feature will be working on a PC powered with minimum Windows 10 v1809.
- Android phone running 7.0+.
- Apps should support media controls in their Android notifications. For instance, the applications may be “Google Podcast,” “Spotify”, “YouTube Music”, “Pandora”, “Amazon Music”, “Google Play Music”, and “Xiami Music”.
- By default setting, Show audio currently playing from my phone will be disabled if Your Phone Notifications permissions are bestowed on.
- Separate audio apps will require notifications permission provided on your Android phone. Navigate to Android Settings => Notifications => select the audio app and turn Notifications on.
Windows 10 20H2 2009 modifies VPN connection logic so that when you disconnect from a VPN network, it will now uncheck the option to auto-connect. You are currently handling the Wi-Fi in same way.
The version modifies the text of the Add a Device dialog in Bluetooth to show controllers.
Windows update Settings includes Optional Updates Available section to provide you the ability to copy the text.
Windows 10 2009 20H2 offers initial support for DNS over HTTPS. The change allows you to opt into using encryption when Windows makes DNS queries.
Download ARM64 VHDX
- Windows 10 2009 20H2 provides the ARM64 VHDX which allows Insiders to run Windows 10 as a guest OS in Hyper-V. You can download the VHDX here. Every build will get updated VHDX downloads further.
- The version has updated Windows Hello configurations to ensure its compatibility with 940nm wavelength cameras.
- WSB files in Windows Sandbox are case insensitive.
- Storage Sense will no longer clear out your Downloads folder automatically on a cycle if it is synced to a cloud provider.
- The new edition modified ogin logic to avoid error appearing with username while starting.
Windows 10 2009 20H2 has changed the servicing model for the Linux kernel inside of the WSL/Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 distributions. This improvement will withdraw the Linux kernel from the Windows image and instead have it be pushed via Microsoft Update. The same way will be working for 3rd party drivers such as graphics, or touchpad driver.