Dev Channel of Windows 11 Insider received more of a maintenance update fixing small issues in the ni_prerelease branch. Windows 11 build 23620.1000 is the release for 22H2 version that fixes explorer.exe and Task Manager reliability, forcibly showing Microsoft Start feed. Furthermore, the update also fixed voice access crash and Narrator problems.
Full name of the release is “Windows 11 Insider Preview 23620.1000 (ni_prerelease)”. The build number is 10.0.23620.1000.ni_prerelease.240118-1056. Let’s see what is new in this update:
Table of Contents
Windows 11 Build 23620 changes, bug fixes, and known issues
Here is the changelog:
- The update fixed labels such as System in the Start menu’s all apps list cutting off if text scaling above 100%.
- The build fixed an issue impacting explorer.exe reliability.
- The Dev channel build fixed announcements from the Microsoft Start feed are displayed on the taskbar despite the feed being hidden.
- Windows 11 Build 23620 fixed spacing and fonts used in some settings pages were wrong.
- The rollout fixed the Task Manager reliability problem on the last few builds.
- Furthermore, the update fixed voice access crash that occurred when setting up new languages.
- Finally, the build fixed multiple crashes impacting Narrator, including one when trying to add new natural voices.
Reminder: Some fixes noted here in Insider Preview builds from the Dev Channel may make their way into the servicing updates for the released version of Windows 11.
Copilot in Windows
- This is a prevailing known issue where when first launching or after refreshing Copilot in Windows while using voice access, you’ll need to use “Show grid” commands to click in the “Ask me anything” box for the first time.
- Keyboard navigation from settings sub-pages back to the top-level Settings page is damaged.
You can download the latest Windows Insider SDK at aka.ms/windowsinsidersdk.
SDK NuGet packages are now also flighting at NuGet Gallery | WindowsSDK which include:
- .NET TFM packages for use in .NET apps as described at aka.ms/windowsinsidersdk
- C++ packages for Win32 headers and libs per architecture
- BuildTools package when you just need tools like MakeAppx.exe, MakePri.exe, and SignTool.exe
These NuGet packages provide more granular access to the SDK and better integration in CI/CD pipelines.
SDK flights are now published for both the Canary and Dev Channels, so be sure to choose the right version for your Insider Channel.
Remember to use adaptive code when targeting new APIs to make sure your app runs on all customer machines, particularly when building against the Dev Channel SDK. Feature detection is recommended over OS version checks, as OS version checks are unreliable and will not work as expected in all cases.
About the Dev Channel
REMINDER: The Dev Channel has been rebooted. Windows Insiders who were in the Dev Channel on 25000 series builds have been moved to the new Canary Channel. Going forward, the Dev Channel will receive 23000 series builds. Insiders who were moved to the Canary Channel and want to move back to the Dev Channel can follow these instructions to do a clean installation of Windows 11 and then re-join the Dev Channel to receive 23000 series builds.
The Dev Channel receives builds that represent long lead work from our engineers with features and experiences that may never get released as we try out different concepts and get feedback. It is important to remember that the builds we release to the Dev Channel should not be seen as matched to any specific release of Windows and the features included may change over time, be removed, or replaced in Insider builds or may never be released beyond Windows Insiders to general customers. For more information, please read this blog post about how we plan to use the Dev Channel to incubate new ideas, work on long lead items, and control the states of individual features.
In some cases, features and experiences may go out to the Canary Channel first before going out to the Dev Channel however the Dev Channel will provide better platform stability. As we get closer to shipping, some features and experiences will also make their way to the Beta Channel when they are ready.
The desktop watermark you see at the lower right corner of your desktop is normal for these pre-release builds.
*Availability of Copilot in Windows: Copilot in Windows in preview is being rolled out gradually to Windows Insiders in select global markets. The initial markets for the Copilot in Windows preview include North America, United Kingdom and parts of Asia and South America. It is our intention to add additional markets over time.
Important Insider Links
- You can check out our Windows Insider Program documentation here.
- Check out Flight Hub for a complete look at what build is in which Insider channel.
How to download Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23620 and install
- Navigate to “Settings > Windows update” and click on “Check for updates”.
- Otherwise, when the Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23620 ISO is placed, go to the page software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso, select the edition and download the build.
- Make the file ISI bootable and install the build. Follow Ventoy – Create Bootable USB easily with ISO (multi-boot support)
Source: Windows blog.