- An internet broadband connection
- For online purchases and some of the features like iCloud, the App Store, and iTunes Store, an Apple ID is required.
For using the iPad with a computer:
- A Mac computer or a PC with a 2.0 Universal Serial Bus and OS such as Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or more advanced.
- Other Windows operating systems like Windows XP, Windows 7, or Windows Vista or later versions.
- 10.6 or more latest versions of iTunes which can be downloaded from the website-www.itunes.com/download
To setup an iPad
- The iPad needs to be turned on and then Setup assistant should be followed.
- The setup process includes connections to WiFi networks, setting up an Apple User id and Password, setting up iCloud and other features as location Services and Find my iPad.
- The setup assistant guides through all the processes by onscreen directions.
To Setup e-mail and other accounts
- iPad can be set up wit iCloud, Microsoft Exchange and most popular Internet mail-based service providers.
- A free iCloud account can be set up while setting up the iPad.
- For iCloud accounts: click settings > click iCloud & for other accounts: click settings > click Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Contacts can also be added using an LPAD or CardDAV account, provided it is supported by the company or organization.
- The contents on an iPad can be stored on any other iOS device or on a personal computer via iCloud or iTunes.
- The contents stored by iCloud are music, photos and others which it wirelessly transfers to all other iOS devices or personal computers to keep every bit of information up to date.
- iTunes also operates similarly syncing every music, images, videos over the iPad device and the computer. The most amazing feature is that changes made in documents in one device are copied to other devices when they are synced.
- The iCloud and iTunes must not be used at the same time otherwise duplication of data may take place.
- iTunes in the iCloud: iTunes music and TV show can be purchased to iPad for free
- Apps and Books — Previous App Store and iBookstore purchases can be made for free.
- Photo Stream — Photos taken on one device automatically is synced with other devices in which they appear.
- Documents in the Cloud — It keeps all documents up to date on all iOS devices.
- Mail, Contacts, Calendars — It syncs mail contacts, calendars, notes, and reminders in all devices keeping them up to date.
- Backup — It backs up iPad to iCloud automatically when connected to power supply and WiFi is turned on.
- Find My iPad — It locates the user’s iPad on the map and also has other features.
- Find My Friends—It keeps the track of all family members and friends connected through a cellular network by using the Find My Friends app which can be downloaded from the Apple Store.
- Tunes Match—when subscribed, all the music imported from the Apple Store or from CDs is synced over all other devices.