A new version of PowerToys is released with several changes having 2 add ons and one utility. Apart from this thetool comes up with multiple changes such as fix for one of two borders showing incorrect bugs, reduction in CPU / GPU activity, new utilities STL thumbnail, and preview panes, and several other. PowerToys 0.55.0 is the version that brings remarkable changes in the tool.
The v 0.55 release cycle sustains the progress toward getting PowerToys ARM64 ready, fix some top issues and new utilities. Work from the previous month helped the tool to enable the team to upgrade the code base to .NET 5 and the coming months onwards to .NET 6.This will provide stability and speed improvements.
Windows PowerToys 0.55.0 is out with 3 New Utilities
Here is the changelog –
The team is super excited to bring on 3 new PowerToy utilities –
- File Explorer add-on – Developer files for preview pane. This should add approximately 150 file extensions on whole. We are using the Monaco Editor to power this experience.
- File Explorer add-on – This utility refers to STL file format thumbnail and preview pane generation! Since STL is a normal 3D file format, this allows a quick visual check.
- Mouse Utility – This indicates Crosshair over pointer via Ctrl+Alt+P. This feature was developed with the cooperation of the accessibility team at Microsoft. As the team told us about the idea and explained trying to locate your cursor by looking via a straw, we understood we could leverage code from the other mouse utilities to instantly enable this feature. Below is a quote from one of the testers with a rough validation build:
“This will change my life and allow me to use any machine without constantly losing the pointer. This is huge! I will be able to work at my normal speed again. It is a total game-changer for people with visual field impairments!” – Joanna A.
PowerToys 0.55.0 Installer Hash
- .NET runtime is presently on 5, our subsequent release will be upgraded to .NET 6. Going to .NET 5 and then 6 helped reduce our moving parts in a single rollout therefore we went this route. Why this is important is this is one of the major work items needed for ARM64 support. Furthermore, this should assist provide speed boosts once we are on .NET 6.
- @jsoref’s spelling plugin help.
Always on Top
- PowerToys 0.55.0 fixed one of two borders showing incorrect bugs.
- Border defaults to OS accent color now.
- Reduced CPU/GPU activity. Not done improving, we know we can do better.
- Bug fixes for not losing zones after installing update.
- Fixed editor margin problem that occurs for the Chinese language.
File explorer add-ons
- GCode thumbnails are now equipped with transparency.
- Novice Utility – Developer files for File Explorer preview pane. This should add approximately 150 file extensions on a whole. We are using the Monaco Editor to power this experience.
- Additional Utility – STL thumbnail and preview panes included!.
- Fixed bug that occurs with too much meta data.
- This new version fixed resizing bug that occurs for constant height while maintaining aspect ratio.
- New Utility – Crosshair over pointer via “Ctrl + Alt + P”. This feature was created with the cooperation of accessibility team at Microsoft.
- “Files are sorted now onwards how File Explorer sorts”.
- PowerToys 0.55.0 posted speed and fixed issues with the Windows walker plugin.
- The plugin Window Walker will now onwards display the elevated app’s path.
- Windows PowerToys 0.55.0 added the UEFI command to system commands.
- The new Fixed crashing issues in “EnvironmentHelper class”.
- Furthermore, Fix URI plugin bug with ^:
- VS Code plugin not displaying workspaces with the newest Code version was corrected.
- The tool fixed bug that caused plugins to not load.
- Also fixed crash in Uri plugin and the Web search plugin.
PowerToys 0.55.0 Settings
- PowerToys 0.55.0 fixed a regression with settings being reset when moving from admin to non-admin
Video Conference Mute
- It brings fixes for crashing bugs with Zoom and other clients. The developers found someone who could remotely debug with and identify the actual crashing part.
- Change of behavior: When quitting a meeting, VCM will now onwards quit your mic in the state it was. Fortunately, this mimics the behavior of apps if VCM is not occurring.
- Change of behavior: When you close PowerToys, your extant mic state will remain.
Download PowerToys 0.55.0
- PowerToysSetup-0.55.0-x64.exe – 60 MB
Source – Github.