Windows 10 22H2 has obtained the Patch Tuesday 09.05.2023 release addressing a race condition in Windows Local Administrator Password Solution aka LAPS. KB5026361 is the cumulative update that has multiple bug fixes and improvements. This LCU changes the versions to Windows 10 19045.2965, 19044.2965, and 19042.2965 for versions 22H2, 21H2, and 20H2 respectively.
Full name of the security patch is 2023-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5026361) where x64 is changeable depending on the device (x86, ARM64). Read: Windows 10 KB5025221 is available to install in 22H2, 21H2, 20H2. Let’s have a look at the changes in the LCU:
KB5026361 Windows 10 19045.2965 22H2 Changes, bug fixes, improvements, and changes
Here is the changelog –
Changes and improvements
- This update addresses a race condition in Windows Local Administrator Password Solution (LAPS). The Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS) might stop responding. This occurs when the system processes multiple local account operations at the same time. The access violation error code is 0xc0000005.
See: Fix This change requires you to restart your device LSA Protection Error in Windows.
How to download KB5026361 in Windows 10 22H2, 21H2, and 20H2 and install
Before installing KB 5026361, ensure that the latest version of SSU is installed on your computers. Then head to the methods and follow anyone:
1] Through auto Windows Update
- Press Winkey+I.
- Select – Windows Update from the left panel.
- Go to the right and click on Check for updates.
- When the system scanned the deliverance, click on Download & install.
- Let the process complete and click on – Restart now.
2] Using Standalone package
- Click on the KB5026361 direct download link.
- Once you reached Microsoft update catalog website find the file appropriate for your computer and click on the Download button.
- When a separate page will appear, click the link to Standalone package.
- Once downloaded, double-click on the following file:
- On the verification prompt, select Yes.
- The computer will restart twice or thrice and complete the installation of the Security update.
Take help from: How to Download and Install Update from Microsoft update catalog on Windows 11/10.